The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

mentored youth pheasant hunting

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  LostAgain 
#1 ·
can a mentored youth under the age of 12 now hunt pheasants this year? i thought in years past only those over 12 could hunt pheasants, but in the digest it states mentor youth can hunt pheasants.

#2 ·
I didnt read the regulations, but I assume that is what was passed. All upland birds except woodcock are now available for mentored youth and adults(guess the useless idiot commissioners thought woodcock would be to dangerous for mentored hunters). But if like other mentored hunting, you'll have to carry the gun until a dog goes on point, had the gun to the mentored hunter, and then walk in on the the bird aside your mentored youth. Walk up hunting or hunting over a flushing dog wouldnt(or shouldnt) be allowed.

#3 · (Edited)
From what I’m reading, a 7-11 year old could get a Mentored youth permit for $2.90 but would need to also buy a pheasant permit for $26.90 in order to hunt pheasants. (Also can't carry a gun and has to be and remain stationary when gun is handed to them by the mentor.)

If a youth (age 12-16) took the hunter's safety course they can buy a junior hunting license for $6.90 and the required pheasant permit is free. If the same aged youth didn't take the hunter's safety class, they can get a mentored youth permit for $6.90 but would need to spend $26.90 on the pheasant permit in order to hunt them. The 12-16 year old mentored youth also needs to be stationary before being handed the gun and remain stationary while holding the gun. The 12-16 year old licensed hunter can carry their own gun.

Any person over the age of 11 must take the hunter's safety course and buy a license once they have held 3 mentored permits in the past.

#4 ·
Am i just missing something, or does anyone else not really understand how you're supposed to make pheasant or grouse hunting work with a MY AND be in compliance with the regulation that says:

"A mentored hunter 16 and under must be stationary (the state or condition where a person is still, fixed in place or static, indicated by a cessation of all forward, backward or lateral movement, whether in the standing, kneeling, sitting or prone position) and within arm’s reach of the mentor at all times while in possession of any lawful hunting device (any firearm or implement that is lawful to be possessed during the current season and used to harvest the particular species) while engaged in hunting or related activities."

I would have rather seen them allow duck and/or goose hunting for MY as opposed to pheasant or grouse. Those are at least usually stationary activities and more easily controlled.

Anyway - glad my younger son took the course this year and I don't have to worry about it.

#5 ·
Am i just missing something, or does anyone else not really understand how you're supposed to make pheasant or grouse hunting work with a MY AND be in compliance with the regulation that says:

"A mentored hunter 16 and under must be stationary (the state or condition where a person is still, fixed in place or static, indicated by a cessation of all forward, backward or lateral movement, whether in the standing, kneeling, sitting or prone position) and within arm’s reach of the mentor at all times while in possession of any lawful hunting device (any firearm or implement that is lawful to be possessed during the current season and used to harvest the particular species) while engaged in hunting or related activities."

I would have rather seen them allow duck and/or goose hunting for MY as opposed to pheasant or grouse. Those are at least usually stationary activities and more easily controlled.

Anyway - glad my younger son took the course this year and I don't have to worry about it.
The best way to allow a mentored youth shooting opportunities on grouse or pheasant would be to run a pointing dog and a flushing dog together. The flushing dog would need to walk at heel until the pointing dog pointed, the youth would walk up to the point, be handed the gun, then the flushing dog sent in for the flush.

While I applaud the PGC for providing way more hunting opportunities than I had before age 12, I disagree with the decision to make grouse and pheasant one of them.

#10 ·
A mentored youth from 12-16 is someone that for whatever reason did not to take the hunter's safety class. I don't have a problem prohibiting them from carrying a gun while walking.

A mentored adult (17 or older) is permitted to carry a gun while moving. They only need to be withing eyesight and close enough to hear verbal instructions from their mentor.

#11 ·
That's the reason why I don't like the change allowing MY to hunt pheasant or grouse. It's nearly impossible to have a safe shot unless the shooter flushes the bird themself. And if you allow the 10 year old to flush the bird themself, you're teaching them that they are permitted to break the law and you approve of it.

#9 ·
There is a reason they have those rules for mentored youth. Going in on a pointed bird for someone that has no experience at needs close supervision. When I take youth out the first time, until I'm confident on their safety skills, I walk in as close as I can with them. The bird isnt always where we think it is, and once its in the air, the hunter is only focused on shooting at the bird, and loses awareness of where anyone else is. More than once I've been yelling not to shoot. Even adults doing this for the first time need reminders to be aware where other hunters are.

#12 ·
During the youth season 12-16 never needed to obtain license or take hunters safety in order to participate in the youth season.But they did need the pheasant permit which was issued free of charge.. mentored youth were not permitted. to take part. Obviously this was not confusing enough for the Commissioners and they figured out a way to make this even more confusing for all concerned.

It keeps getting sillier.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.