The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of us have mentored youth, or kids that started as MY and are now junior hunters. Let's have a post that recognizes when our kids pass on to junior hunters.

My son, Danny, started the MY program in 2008 and graduated in 2014. 6 great years in the MY program and now a life-long PA hunter. He is 15 now and will be moving to another class next year. Time flies.

Attachments

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
From his first squirrel hunt, First deer hunt, first squirrel, first and second deer, HTE class, first pheasant and first buck

Attachments

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Congrats on the journeys, fellas. Nothing more rewarding than sharing in your kid's successes.

Next year, my son will be 16. He'll be able to drive and hunt by himself. Hope he still wants to go with the old man. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have been so happy that the PGC came up with the MY program. It was the best decision they have made in many year. My son started when he was 8 (first pic) and we saw a spike buck and he couldn't get a shot. Fast forward to him being 12 his next level of being a junior hunter and getting him the combo licences they offer and he took his first deer and first buck, with a crossbow in the early season. Fast forward again to the last season as a junior hunter at 15 years old, and he takes his first buck woth his 308. So many memories have been made over the last 7 years and many more hoping to happen.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
kcflyer - he went from a boy to a man in one post!!! :D

It's amazing how the time goes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It seems like life went almost as quick as it took me to type that post. Lol. Now next year he will be a regular adult hunter next year. It is just crazy how life and time flies by.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wish I could turn back time and do it all over again.

Mentored Youth hunting, Cub Scouts, Little League baseball, youth basketball and football. Can't tell you how many mornings I got up and was so excited about the day ahead with my son. Most fulfilling moments ever. Miss those days. Great days are still ahead, but those days were amazing.

·
Registered
20,862 Posts
Yes they are WOL.My son is 12 right now and my life revolves around everything he does from baseball,wrestling and hunting etc.I have a great deal of anxiety thinking about what my life will become in another 5 or 6 years.I'm afraid I'll have no purpose and just wither and die.I rarely even carry a weapon anymore and it's a rare day that I go hunting if my son isn't with me.I really don't think I'll have the drive to hunt when he's gone.Last summer my son played baseball as an 11 year old.My one buddy who's son was 12 sent me a text of an empty ball field after the 12 year olds lost their final all star game.It was a picture of an empty field with the lights dimmed and a caption that said,what do we do when don't have anyone to take to practice anymore.I'm not a very emotional person but that really choked me up.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
DCE - I feel exactly the same way. Little League ended at 12. Youth basketball ended at 8th grade. There was a time that my son was in cub scouts, played 3 sports and was even in the grade school orchestra. Always something going on. Now, not so much. Baseball is tough for teenagers these days, too. With AAU, CYO, school teams, etc...the kids are too thinly spread out to field even 4 Legion teams. So, we have HS football and school track now. I also volunteer for every kid-related thing. I'm now the president of the HS football parents club. We plan all the events and do all the fund-raising. That's pretty rewarding. The other dynamic is my relationship with my wife. We went from 20-somethings with no kids, to parents of young kids and now we have a 14 and 15 year old. We have to re-invent our relationship all the time. I'm very proud of what my kids have become, but I would love to relive those years when they were little.

Anyway, enough of the woe is me [email protected] Congrats to all the mentored youths and kudos to all the parents that put aside their hunts to help our next generation of hunters. And, in most of our cases, fishing buddies.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts