The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else fail to see the logic in the new mentor fee? Yes the cost is smal, but for how long. seems like the mentor program was just starting to take off. Kids were getting exposed to hunting before the get hooked on video games for a change. Now a new hurdle to make it so that uncle does not stop in and pick up his nefew on the way to the woods, because he does not have the required permit on top of the license that he already paid for. This is one of the most lame brained fees I've seen in 10 years. Go back and make it simple everone pays the same and everyone gets the same opertunities. Get rid of the two dozen add ons that get added to our hunting and fishing licenses every year.

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
The mentored permit fee is $1.00 to the commission, $1 to the issue agent, and .70 to the vendor.

The commission needed to have this fee so they can track recruitment and retention rates, survey both the mentored hunter, and the adults, find out where the kids are who will be needing to take HTE and when, etc.

Additionally, there is a bill (HB 281) in the works which will allow the transfer of a doe tag between a licensed adult hunter and the mentored youth.

Without a permit number, the game commission would have no way of tracking that transfer-

I think those reasons are enough, don't you?

My offer still stands by the way. If there is anyone who can't afford the $2.70 for a mentored permit, send me a PM.

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
Additionally, no new fees other than the vendor fee have been added in OVER 10 years. That is .70 cents that the PGC doesn't get a dime from.

Sportsmen and the legislature were the ones who asked for a point of sale license- not the commission, so obviously your beef would be with them, not the PGC.

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
Those video games the kids are getting hooked on are a whole heck of a lot more expensive than a fishing license and Hunting license put together.

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
This year when my 10 year old boy was standing over that 8 point it didn't matter to me what I had to pay. I'd give up a weeks pay for that moment.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is not the $2.70. It is the opertunity to hunt. I have 5 brothers and a pile of aunts and uncles that would offer to take my son hunting when I do not have the time. Each one of them would need a permit to take him hunting. No I do not think that the tracking of who is huntin where is needed. All of the noble purposes that it is to pay for is hog wash and a waste of resources.

Every year new regulations are added. It practically takes a lawyer, a surveyor and a hunter together to sort throught all off the regulatons in play these days. When I see the a $40,000 plus vehical with the PGC logo it makes me sick. That one vehicle could cover the cost for a whole year for what will be collected by $2.70. Like every other part of public services we need to simplify. Deer season alone has different law for sides of a highway. Points, when doe comes in. Come on This is stupidity that makes folks say heck with it and give up.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A seperate license to hunt with a pistol. Who cares.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For me, each of my brothers, plus the brother in-law that will be $18.90. Make it an even $20.00 in case a uncle wants to take him squirel hunting. Once again it is not the fee it is the added unneeded regulation that is being tacked on to fund onother job that does nothing but collect data. Since we can not agree what to do with the data why collect it.

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
Dude you lost me. You don't need the permit the child does. The adult should or would have the adult back tag.
Sorry I'm slow sometimes am I missing this?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you want to take a youth hunting that is under 12, you can, but it requires the adult to have a mentor permit. Many other restrictions also apply on how and what you hunt, but that is a quick explaination.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They just recently added the fee. Kind of like a crack dealer. Get them intrested then charge.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's not how the local profesional earning his $.70 explained it to me. 25ftup

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
Mentor permit for an adult? Nah, you need a general back tag. Are you telling me people that don't have a tag want to take a kid hunting. I'm lost. Help me out after 16 years of school I'm slow, my wife tells me all the time.

·
Registered
13,867 Posts
I'm gonna take up drinking again....Now I'm even more confused. please read the BOLD

Mentored Youth Hunt Permit: ($2.70) Issued to resident and nonresident youth under the age of 12. This permit includes two tags: one for an antlered deer and one for a spring turkey. In addition to the applicant’s signature, the applicant’s parent or guardian must sign the permit to validate it and the information provided before the mentored youth hunter goes afield. The cost to replace a lost Mentored Youth Hunt Permit is $2.70. See current Digest and the Mentored Youth Hunting Program FAQs for additional details.

·
Registered
9,778 Posts
H2O, you're incorrect... the kid (for the fee) gets a backtag ... he/she may hunt with any adult that has a valid hunting license...

GalThatFishes said:
Additionally, there is a bill (HB 281) in the works which will allow the transfer of a doe tag between a licensed adult hunter and the mentored youth.
That's the coolest thing I've heard in a while... hopefully it passes.
I'd love to have the opportunity to have the boys "help" me out and harvest a doe.
I realize that this happens quite a bit on the QT... but "integrity" would lack meaning if I let the boys go that route... I want them to be proud of their accomplishments, not ashamed because they broke even the most ignorant law.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
H2Ohunter said:
... Each one of them would need a permit to take him hunting. ...
The youth is assigned a CID number for his Mentored Youth permit. Each mentor only needs a hunting license to take the youth, not any additional permits.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As it was explained to me I need a mentoring permit (much like for furtakers, hunting with a pistol, shooting a doe, shooting a bear, shooting an elk, using a muzzle loader, using a bow, or lord knows what else we will need to pay extra fo next. All of these require that you have your basic back tag. Up until recently you could take a youth hunting if you had an adult backtag. Now like many of these other add-ons you are required to also have metor permit to take that youth under 12 hunting and let them shoot. A buck is one thing on the short list of what the youth can shoot. There is also restrictions that limit when the youth can hold the gun. Like every other aspect of a hunting license it has its own set of restrictions. I will not begin to prtend that I know all of the ins and outs because like every other basic concept in the hunting regulations this has a laudry list of conditions that can change at anytime and you will e required to be upto date will in the woods even if your local Game Warden does not. No I have not been ticketed, but I am getting frustrated. At the Sportsman show in Harrisburg last year I asked 4 different officers if it is legal to snare groundhogs. I got 4 different answers.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts