The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember one person who did more to fan the flame [outside of my own family that is!]and that was my friend's father.

Sadly I have learned of his passing and I wanted to share a 'slice' of his obit'

He was a U.S. Army Veteran having served during the Korean War. Memberships: He was a member of American Legion in XXXXX; Boy Scout Leader in XXXXX; life member NRA; He was a member of the Sheet Metal Workers International Assoc.in XXXXX. A former member XXXXX XXXXX Police Revolver League; Honorary life member XXXXX Fish & Game Assoc. and was a Hunter Safety Instructor.He was an a avid outdoorsman loved to hunt, fish, garden, photography and

He used to take about 6 of us in his old station wagon w/ old 22 cal trainers from the DCM to practice to be the fish and games 'sharpshootrs' somehow we never lived up to the title.

When he brought property, you saw where his priorities were. the range was laid out first and the covered shooting bench was the first structure built...

We lost a good one.

·
Registered
13,867 Posts
Wis, sorry to hear that.

Sounds like you remember him for all the right reasons!

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He was the first person I knew who had gun safe...a BIG gunsafe back in the 60's...

was big in reloading then too...

almost a big a void as my dad and I haven't been close to him for almost 30 years.

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
Sorry to hear that wis.

Think of the good times though, he sounds like a great man for sure.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Real sorry to hear this Wis bang.

Seems like we are loosing alot of good ones anymore...remember that all, whenever you think is it worth the hassle to have a kid tag long? No matter what the Outddor activity, Do it in the memory of the guys that said "yes" when we were the kid. 30, 40, 50 years erases alot, but none of the good stuff.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
My condolences. He was a patriot and a great American for sure.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, thanks for the responses.

My wife & I drove there yesterday for his memorial.

During the services two grand children spoke first his one grandson spoke of the 'Boy's trips' to Potter County and learning the traditions of hunting. Then one grand daughter spoke about his joy in teaching her when she wanted to learn how to hunt; ranked it right up there w/ his praise on making the Dean's List...

It doesn't get any better than that!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts