The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,647 Posts
This Memorial Day, we remember those who sacrificed their lives for our freedom. Our thoughts and prayers are with all of those who are grieving. May we, as Abraham Lincoln said at Gettysburg, “highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain—that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom—and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.”

Now more than ever.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Well put Bcoz.....There is no bigger sacrifice than to give your life for your country....Today and every day we should thank them for that....

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I would like to thank my one other neighbor out of about 50 houses on my block that honored the fallen besides myself by placing flags out for the holidays. I guess that is what is expected when new residents move on the the block that are primary russian & Asians

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
I'd like to mention of a couple of my relatives specifically. Wiley Haynes Jr. (Buddy). He was from Clermont Georgia. He was with the 44th Heavy Bombardment Group , 68th Bomb Squadron. He was a right waist gunner and assistant engineer flying on the B-24 "Flak Alley". She was famous for her raid on Ploesti Romania. The squadron was bombing Gotha Germany on Feb. 24th 1944 during "Big Week", a Messerschmidt factory I believe. They got caught in the prop wash of the plane in front of them and fell away. The plane fell out of formation and ME-109's shot her down. He was wounded but able to bail out. He apparently died on the ground. He was 22 for approximately a month. He's buried in the American -Ardennes Cemetary.

Denver Truelove was from Lula Georgia. He volunteered for what became the Doolittle raid. He was the bombardier on ship 5, taking off from the Hornet to bomb Japan. After getting out alive he was assigned to the Med. Flying out North Africa , his B-25 was shot down while attacking German shipping around Sicily. His body was never found. His name is on a monument in Tunisia. He never saw 25 years of age.

Have an Uncle, Adam(24th Georgia) who was killed by Custer's Cavalry while crossing the North Fork of the Shenandoah around Front Royal Virginia in late August 1864. Still bent out of shape about that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts