The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today is a time to remember all those who gave up their lives defending our country's beliefs.

<span style="font-weight: bold">"For love of country they accepted death"</span>.........James Garfield

·
Registered
10,059 Posts
I had a family member killed in Vietnam - May 31st, 1968. Last day of the deadliest month of the war for US soldiers. He was just short of six months there. Killed by enemy sniper who was hiding up in a tree. The rest of his unit killed the guy, but too late. RIP.

I would like to especially remember my grandfather who was in the 6th Armored Division in WWII. Landed at Normandy shortly after D-Day, fought across France, Belgium and Germany. Fought in the battle of the Bulge and was present for the liberation of the Buchenwald concentration camp. I have the medals he received. Rest in Peace and THANK YOU-my grandfather, my hero, my best friend.

I also recently finished some family tree work and found that a direct ancestor of mine has fought in every major US war from the Revolutionary War up through Vietnam. I would like to remember all of them as well. You guys made the family proud and Rest In Peace.

Finally, let us all remember all of those who served and paid the ultimate sacrifice so we may all live free in the greatest country the world has ever known.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Thank you to all that have and are still serving our country..

Thank you for all your sacrifices and devotion to our great country..

God Bless you and your families..

·
Registered
52,307 Posts
Thanks to all who have served and are serving at present..Kudu my dad was in those same battles in WW2, the Bulge,and others..He had PTSD before it had a name. Had 2 or 3 close calls, didn't like to talk about it too much...

·
Registered
10,059 Posts
RonM said:
.Kudu my dad was in those same battles in WW2, the Bulge,and others..He had PTSD before it had a name. Had 2 or 3 close calls, didn't like to talk about it too much...
I know exactly what you are talking about the PTSD before it had a name. I didn't understand a lot of things when I was younger, but as I've found out more things. it makes much more sense now.
I was very fortunate, my grandfather would talk to me a lot about things that happened over there. I think it was one of his ways of coping with it. Some of the stories are pretty rough. I wish I had been smarter about WWII at the time and asked a few more questions...Too young and dumb at the time to realize the resource that I had.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Yes thank you all!
My FIL was in a bomber squad (forget #) in WWII. He is travelling to the French embassy June 21st for a medal of recognition. I pray his health holds so he can receive it.

·
Registered
20,976 Posts
We are grateful to those who serve and have served. There is no higher calling.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Thank You to all Veterans, past and present, for the freedoms we enjoy today. My father was a Marine in WWII and the Korean War.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts