The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the gun for a walk this am. The turkeys were pretty quiet, but did some shooting with the camera.

I stopped to take a shot or two from the truck window, at this small vista.

Was about to move on when a cool-looking weathered stump at the edge of the vista caught my eye, so I decided to get out and get a shot with the stump in the foreground to frame the view. I got out of the truck, and the ground began to move just beside and in front of the truck. About a dozen poults scattered, except for a few who were nice enough to stick around for mug shots.

One poult soon began to keekee, and I heard the hen in a tree not far away, clucking softly. I began to back off, about the time the hen came sailing over, but spotted the truck at the last minute (or me?) and veered off out of sight. I left the new family alone and headed home. Just about as satisfying a morning on the mountain as one can hope for.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They both looked like regular ol' box turtles to me, but to be honest, I'm not very "up" on my turtle identification.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Awesome pics looks like a great day out. They were Eastern Box Turtles. Good chance the first was a male and the second a female. No way of telling for sure without seeing the underside of the shell but generally red or orange eyes means male and brown to yellow is female.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bob, I finished with one longbeard, and just reported "no kill" for #2. Unless he killed one today and is holding out on me, Dave has tag soup. Tough spring for us for sure. Oh, we had a few close calls, but overall the quietest spring season I've had in a number of years.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No way of telling for sure without seeing the underside of the shell but generally red or orange eyes means male and brown to yellow is female.
Thanks, I didn't know that. I did pick up the 2nd, and based on the bottom of its shell, you are right on that one.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts