The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may be in the market for some new boots. I prefer 400 grams of insulation. Anybody have the ultralight by Meindel? Looking for some feedback. They will be used in potter county rifle season, doing a lot of hiking in the susquehannock forest. Also late season stand hunting. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Dave,
A buddy of mine had a pair of Cabela's Meindl 400 gram
Ultralight Hunter boots for a couple of years. After listening to him rave about them all the time I bought myself a pair.
They are light, waterproof and comfortable the first time I put them on. I would give them 5 stars.

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
I have Meindl Perfekt's, which are 400gm boots and like them.

If you have the budget, though, Kennetreks are really, really hard to beat. I have a low-end hiker/sneaker type shoe from them that I wear the snot out of, and when I decide to replace the Meindl's, Kennetreks are top of the list. But they are not "budget friendly."

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
tdd said:
I have Meindl Perfekt's, which are 400gm boots and like them.

If you have the budget, though, Kennetreks are really, really hard to beat. I have a low-end hiker/sneaker type shoe from them that I wear the snot out of, and when I decide to replace the Meindl's, Kennetreks are top of the list. But they are not "budget friendly."
I'll 2nd this, and say either should be good.

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
I find the Meindls to run true to size, maybe a tiny bit big on length, and generous on width, but not excessively so.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Agree withh tdd.may be just a hair on the big side.Great boots,you will not regret buying them.Also have a pair of lowa's that i absoluetly love.either way you cant go wrong

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Due to budget constraints, I'm leaning towards the ultralights. It is actually A warranty issue and I have 220$ to replace boot. As of now I'm torn between the ultralight and the Danner high ground.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I used a pair of Danner,s on my 1st two sheep hunts and came home both times with blisters and sore feet/toes. For my 3rd hunt I purchased Meindls Alaskans and had no foot/toe issues. Just my experience for what it's worth.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I hunt Elk and Cameron counties and hunt all day everyday of the rifle season. I do a lot of walking in a season and the Meindl ultralights are by far the best boot I have had on my foot. I have two seasons on the boot now and they are holding up well. I recommend these boots to anyone.

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
I have exactly two complaints with my Meindl Perfekts (400gm boots).

1- they used to squeak. Not bad, but it was there, and it was one of those stupid little things that you just can't NOT hear, if you know what I mean. Some Obenauf's leather treatment cured it, and is good for the leather anyway, so that wasn't too bad.

2- the soles/tread aren't a rigid as I'd like. If there are a lot of rocks on the menu, I will go to my Asolo Sasslongs unless it's real cold (the Asolo's are uninsulated). The Meindl's will let you feel EVERYTHING that's trying to poke into your feet, the Asolo's feel like you have armor under your foot.

That said, the Meindls are a bit more comfortable, but the Asolo's give noticeably more support under the foot and around the ankle. Even so, the Meindl's FAR outclass the Wolverines and similar type boots that I'd used prior. I see them appear periodically in the bargain cave at Cabela's, too. In fact, that's how I got mine.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did go with the ultra lights, hope they do good! I have not tried them on yet, just got them this week.

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
Congrats! Now get yourself some Obenaufs and treat them a couple times a year and they'll be in great shape for many seasons.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
In cold, wet, damp winter weather, I go for boots, as long as they're insulated and have rubber bottoms.
And you do some pre-season exercise to get ready for them.
Incidentially, I got some uninsuated leather boots ready as a backup, by getting some winter gaiters, that had insulating wool to cover the boot.
Couldn't find anything that satisfied me, mainly for southern use. Will work good, as the boots are all
paid for. I have a non-hunting partner who accompanies me in the winter on walks. Will fit her hiking non-insulated short boots.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts