The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just created a new half acre plot in a very thick and secluded thicket this past weekend that is located just about 300 yards from a 5 acre plot planted in BFO's,WW. and Rye.
Im looking to plant something different than whats planted in the 5 acre plot and thinking about Evolved Harvest's Mega Plot or Shot Plot and maybe even WI.'s Winter Greens. This plot is intended as a kill plot and looking to plant something that will compete with the 5 acre plot and draw deer from Late Sept thru Jan. Anyone have any experience (good or bad) with any of these products? Or any suggestions on something else? Thanks for any help!!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Go buy some Dwarf Essex Rape seed and mix in a small percentage of Purple Top Turnips. You'll pay a lot less for just as good or better results. Plant first week of August or very late in July.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
I also use the DER and trunips, with success.

Have also used both Shot Plot and Wintergreens, both, good products. SP is a bit cheaper, and has DER and turnips in it.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I've used Shot Plot in the past with good success. This year I ordered different brassicas to mix on my own.

Sportsman Guide always had the best price on Shot Plot and it was easily cheaper than the other commercial brassica mixes.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys!! Do you guys think its ok to mix dwarf essex rape with the shot plot?

bake, how much is SP. at Sportsmansguide? I seen it at walmart last night for $9.97 a bag but I dont know if I should trust it since it has been on the shelf for atleast a year.

·
Registered
561 Posts
My buddy swears on Wintergreens. Said the deer were tearing his plot up roots and all last year.

I have always had success with dwarf essex rape and plant it every year usually mixed with BFO or rye. I tried turnips twice now with little success primarily due to lack of rain in August.

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
Cudorun said:
Thanks guys!! Do you guys think its ok to mix dwarf essex rape with the shot plot?

bake, how much is SP. at Sportsmansguide? I seen it at walmart last night for $9.97 a bag but I dont know if I should trust it since it has been on the shelf for atleast a year.
doest hurt to buy a couple bags and plant another plot. seed should be good but its germintation percent wont be as high so a little thicker coverage will be all that is needed.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I am a stickler for Tecomate ULTRA FORAGH OR straight T-RAPTOR brassica. Excellent: top shelf seeds and yes there are different quality seeds... also the MAX ATTRACT 50/50 is a great mix for that time of the year.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
I used a brassica mix last year. Didn't fence it in and the deer devoured it as soon as it came up!! It never had a chance to mature and was gone before rifle opened. Fenced all of our plots but clover this year and the results make me very happy!! Brassica plot will be planted the first week of August. I buy a mix from Andres in Montrose. Excellent germination and costs less than the commercial blends.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts