The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brought 4 month old Elvis home from the local shelter today! He and his sister, Clementine were flown in from a Mississippi shelter this past weekend. They are Beagle/Blood or Coon Hound mixes. He has mostly Beagle markings.
Hoping he'll make a good blood tracking dog. If not, that's OK too. He's a great dog! Laid back and very affectionate. If he opens up on a rabbit.. That's a plus. Clementine is still available for adoption. We're headed up to the local SGL's tomorrow to romp around a bit.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
looks like he might be a treeing walker or have some in him..

the other if a true sister is confusing...blue and red ticks could be some english coonhound..

hope he works out well for you! wouldnt doubt you can turn him into a rabbit dog! our walkers will burn a rabbit around the farm all day long when they are running free...

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help with the breed I.D. His paws and leg joints are huge so he has some growing to do....

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Nice! Might be picking up a blood hound from a shelter today or within the next week. He's not as young as the above, but am goind to try and train him to blood track. even though it's not legal YET in PA, it is in Md and I know a few guys who are generally good for a lost deer or two or 3 every year that could benefit from having a good blood tracking dog available

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks!

I really couldn't ask for a better dog. He house broke in less than a week and is very well behaved for a puppy. He's even ringing the bell I hung on the front door last week when he needs to go out. He sleeps in his crate at the foot of the bed and will go about 6-7 hours already before he has to go out. I truly lucked out.

I started him last week on the smell of deer blood. I put some blood on a small sponge and when he showed interest in it I gave him his favorite treat, a small piece of hot dog. I kept that up a couple times a day until last weekend.
He is now doing short down wind tracks of 30-40'. Next will be to put some turns in his tracks and mix in some hind deer hoof tracks so he can get the smell of the interdigital glands. I have a couple broom sticks with hind hooves hose clamped on them that work great for laying the track. I can't see spending the $ on the tracking shoes that have the clamps on the heel for the deer legs.
His treat of hot dog slices and his rolled up piece of deer hide at the end of the trail are all he needs to keep him motivated!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts