The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else think that the news media is just way over the top in covering stories like the explosions in Boston, the shooting in Sandy Hook, or the shooting in the Arizona parking lot?

Not only is there a race to break "facts" from "sources", which are often incorrect (unexploded bombs in Boston, Senator Gifford has passed), it's then just round-the-clock coverage of really nothing.

It just gives these deranged, evil people the attention they so crave. The way the news covers it I think helps promote this kind of behavior.

Typical - On one major news network of cable, there was more than a half-hour discussion of pressure cookers. Numerous photos of the debris from the blown up pressure cooker. One of the "journalists" had gone out and bought a pressure cooker (for $42, he noted) at a local store. It was as if it was some kind of revelation that one can go to any Sears, Target, Wal-Mart, wherever, and buy a pressure cooker.

If someone has to tell you and show you what a pressure cooker is and how you can get one, please just step away from the TV. You might hurt yourself with the remote.

They have coverage on The Weather Channel. When I tune in to TWC, I want to know will it rain, not see an interview with a person who knew someone who was on a cell phone with someone who was standing nine blocks away from the blast.

Here is where I'd like to see some real leadership from Washington. No need for legislation, just have the President call all the heads of the major news organizations to the White House, publicly tell them that their obsession with ratings and getting "the scoop" is fostering the behavior and in effect they are supporting terrorism (shame them into better behavior) and ask them to all get together and sign a pledge saying they will break the story, cover the breaking news for maybe an hour, and then have short updates to the American people when there really are some facts to report.

Instead of gun controls, and large sugary drink controls, maybe we need overzealous irresponsible news media controls!

·
Registered
10,199 Posts
Yes, Yes, and Yes! They sensationalize everything. Everything has to have a spin or an angle and like you said, if it's notariety these whackos are after, it sure doesn't help!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
yeah, you notice how many inaccuracies there are when they have immediate breaking news. Everyone needs to be first to break the story it's like they don't care if they have the story right or not

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Now I heard several media outlets have implied that it could have been tea party or right wing conservatives responsible for the attack, due to being in Boston and Patriot day. What a bunch of propagandist crap! Why do they keep throwing opinions and groundless speculation around?

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
The media, especially the TV media, has become a a source for fostering panic, innacurate information, knee-jerk reaction and discord. I can't think of a single news outlet that reports NEWS without a delievery spin designed to make the viewer take up a particular perspective on the item being reported. The shrillnes, sky-is-falling deliveries of the news is presented to us by people who are, in my opinion, refugees from a Manhattin cocktail party or pretty faces with short skirts.

·
Banned
3,632 Posts
Not to mention the fact that field news reporters have an uncanny knack for finding the strangest looking people to interview...

- no teeth
- haven't bathed in three weeks
- have trouble putting a coherent sentence together
- dressed like they just walked through a tornado AND SURVIVED
- basically, they look like those pics we've all seen on-line of the "Wal-Mart shoppers"

·
Banned
40,543 Posts
Yep. I agree with you but it's not gonna happen. News has become a 24 hour a day event and they have to fill those hours with news. They really don't care if it right or wrong or just speculation. The news outlets have to "look busy."

There was a time when the news came on at 6 & 11 pm for local stuff and 6:30 pm for national news and that was it for the day. Those days are long gone.

·
Registered
10,199 Posts
I'm not sure how they do things in "The Burgh", but I can honestly say out of all the pics I have seen online (birds & vintage electronics), I have never looked for Wal-Mart shoppers.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
I couldnt agree more. The major news media exemplifies everything that is wrong with this country today. I hate it with a passion. Left or right, up or down they are all a bunch of drama queens lost in appreciation of their own "knowledge". I get irritated when I see a conservative news anchor yapping about the 2A. Shut up you wench, you only support your ratings and what you are ordered to report on.

·
Banned
3,632 Posts
InVenangoNow said:
I'm not sure how they do things in "The Burgh", but I can honestly say out of all the pics I have seen online (birds & vintage electronics), I have never looked for Wal-Mart shoppers.
Corrected it for you.

GIE said:
Not to mention the fact that field news reporters have an uncanny knack for finding the strangest looking people to interview...

- no teeth
- basically, they look like those pics we've all seen on-line of the "Wal-Mart shoppers" "Venango County Residents".

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
GIE - agreed. The media will portray and frame an issue by showing the worst representatives it can find as being the "type" of people who favor a particular view that the media is against. For example: all gun owneres are uneducated, louts who barely speak English. If the media wants to sway public opinion in favor of an issue the representatives of this view will be shown as intelligent, down to earth, patriots who take in homeslss dogs and eat more roughage than is necessary. MSNBC is the worst (Mika Brazinski, Joe Scarboro, all of them on the whole station).

·
Administrator
30,478 Posts
GIE said:

- no teeth
- basically, they look like those pics we've all seen on-line of the "Wal-Mart shoppers" "Venango County Residents".
LMBO! Them's the same folks that space aliens travel millions of miles to abduct!

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
GIE said:

- no teeth
- basically, they look like those pics we've all seen on-line of the "Wal-Mart shoppers"
I object,I ressemble that remark!

·
Banned
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
GIE said:

- no teeth
That not only nailed it center bulls-eye, man did that ever make my day! You helped a fellow HPAer who really needed a chuckle.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts