The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had an odd question. Anyone ever try using a mechanical release on a longbow? If so. How did you favor at hitting your target. I tried this 1 time and I hafe to say, It took me a little while to shoot fingers but trying this was way off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I like to shoot mechanical with my recurve sometimes but I gap shoot and I think it works pretty good

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I have had two back surgeries and some times once I reach anchor my back spasms and I have a jerky release. I tried my old trigger release to see if it cured the problem. It did, but I hated using it so I just went down to 45#. I still have the problem occasionally but it's livable as enjoy shooting with fingers much more.

·
Registered
12,211 Posts
Never heard of that - but you can bet I am going to try it out! I have always used 3 fingers under with teh longbow and a TruBal with my conpound.

·
Registered
19,942 Posts
I tried one with my recurve once. The bow almost jumped right out my hands.

·
Registered
808 Posts
If you use one then you're not really a traditional archer, are you? I mean what's next? A drop-away rest? Hey I know. Let's figure out a way to put some wheels on this thing....

·
Registered
19,942 Posts
I have no idea. I was shooting my recurve and my buddy was shooting his compound with a release. I tried it out and my bow vibrated so bad it almost came right out of my hand. Bow let out a loud "TWANG" sound. Not sure if the release cause a string pinch because it was clamped directly on the string and not on a release a loop. After that I didn't have any ambition to try it again. Even for the short time I shot a compound, I shot fingers and no sights.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
denangme said:
If you use one then you're not really a traditional archer, are you? I mean what's next? A drop-away rest? Hey I know. Let's figure out a way to put some wheels on this thing....
I'm pretty sure I read of certain Indian tribes shooting with a type of "release" made from bone and leather.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts