The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone having problems with meat spoiling in this weather?

I was hoping to age my deer for a few days but I guess that is not going to happen.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Get it down below 41 degrees and you should be good. I use an old refrigerator down here, where sometimes the outside temp is 90 degrees. Skin it immediately and get it on ice or in a fridge ASAP......

·
Registered
477 Posts
Regardless of the temp....Skin it immediately. See a lot of guys down here drive around with a nice buck in the back of the truck that haven't even been gutted (strange southern thing, they don't field dress). And people wonder why venison is "Gamey" tasting.....

The camp next to ours in 2G would leave a deer hanging for a week with the hide still on. I bet their beer was cold, but the meat sure wasn't.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
I have had it hanging in my garage since yesterday. I'll take it to the butcher tonight.
I would be very surprised if your meat didn't start to taint already. It was humid and 55 degrees here today. They can't be left to hand more than a couple hours in temps like that.

I aged two bucks this year in archery season for two weeks each. Just deboned everything and put it in a cooler with a drain hole.
Kept it drained and on ice in the shade for 14 days each. Fantastic tasting backstraps and incredibly tender. Fork tender cooked to Mrare.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Quarter the deer and place in a cooler of ice and water with a little salt. They do this all the time out west and down south where it's much warmer than it has been this week.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Do you put the meat in a garbage bag or directly on the ice?

·
Registered
300 Posts
I put meat directly in the water. The blood will be drawn out of the meat. So it's good to change the water on occasion, a couple times a day if you aren't able to get to process the meat. There are better directions online, but this is an alternate way to age meat in an environment that you can control.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
What is the purpose of "aging" the meat?
Generally, the enzymes in the meat break down connective tissues making the meat more tender. EXAMPLE: If you butcher your own you'll find that if you skin and cut right away that silver skin can be a real bugger to get off cleanly....let it age for 4 or 5 days in the fridge and you'll barely need a knife to pull it off cleanly.

Reactions: surveyor

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would be very surprised if your meat didn't start to taint already. It was humid and 55 degrees here today. They can't be left to hand more than a couple hours in temps like that.

I aged two bucks this year in archery season for two weeks each. Just deboned everything and put it in a cooler with a drain hole.
Kept it drained and on ice in the shade for 14 days each. Fantastic tasting backstraps and incredibly tender. Fork tender cooked to Mrare.

I hope not. We'll see.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts