The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fishing Meadow Run tomorrow. Was planning on starting at the mouth and fishing upstream to the bridge at dinner bell rd. Anyone ever fish that delayed harvest stretch before? If so, is it pretty decent up through there? Looks good from google maps and they stocked today. Hoping to get into a few...

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Its a beautiful stream, I fish it often in the delayed section. Its a good hike from the mouth to the bridge. Probably take a good part of the day. I usually go from the bridge down to the big holes below cascade falls or vice versa. You fly fishing or spinning? If fly fishingmake sure you have some Cherise sucker spawn, san juans, and hotbead prince nymphs. I clean up with those after a fresh stocking.

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. Fishing spinning tackle. Probably nothing but small jigs and maybe some spinners. We're going to start fishing around 12, so we should have almost 6 hours or so to make that hike from bottom to top. Says its 2.2 miles. I think we should be ok.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Nice stretch of water. A buddy of mine caught a wallhanger out of there a couple years ago. My camp is up over the hill from there. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
shootbowtech said:
Thanks for the info. Fishing spinning tackle. Probably nothing but small jigs and maybe some spinners. We're going to start fishing around 12, so we should have almost 6 hours or so to make that hike from bottom to top. Says its 2.2 miles. I think we should be ok.
Depending on the size of the water I use 1mph as a rule of thumb when fishing.

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah that's probably about right. I fish pretty quickly. I'm not the type of guy to stand and fish a hole forever. A few casts and I'm on to the next one. Should have plenty of time to get it done. Can't wait for tomorrow!

·
20,126 Posts
Unless you are flying it will take you every bit of that time to cover that distance. You may have to double time it to get out before dark. Rugged country up there.

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We fished about 3/4 of that stretch. Started at 1245. We made it back to the trucks by 515, and that includes the mile walk back down the road. Awesome day of fishing. Absolutely beautiful creek. Caught some really great fish, 12 in all, with 3 being right at the 16 inch mark, and a bunch of smaller fresh stockies. All out of just two holes on that whole stretch, and all on trout magnets in white. My buddies caught another 5 more total. We didnt fish about the last 600 yards of the upper end. Great day!

·
20,126 Posts
Most likely there were a lot of fish in that upper stretch near the bridge. Congrats though. It is a pretty place to spend a day.

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I'm sure there was. There was quite a few guys fishing up that way so we skipped it. We were fairly exhausted at that point too. Didnt see a single person, and barely a single bootprint through the middle. We might be back on Sunday to give it another shot. We know where the fish are now, and what sections to skip over, so it'll be much more efficient. The fast sections really werent holding any fish at all.

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
Fished that stretch long prior to it being artifical only, and well before they had the parking lot with a sign that stated "Big Hole" with an arrow pointing the path to it. Is that sign still there ?

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I didn't see that sign. I saw one that said "natural water slides" but that was it. There was literally no one through the middle of that stretch. Didn't even see a boot print. I guess I'll have to post some of the pictures we took, and of the 24" rainbow I caught yesterday...

·
20,126 Posts
Oh ya. Back when the area was just a Rafting area meadow was so much better. I used to scale the somewhat dangerous path and hike above the watersides which did not have stairs or a parking area lol. You pulled off to the side of the road. The fishing was amazing and you never saw a soul all the way up to the posted property above the church. It was a holdover producing machine. Used to be one of my very favorite places. Now I haven't been there in probably 7 years or better. With improved access and awareness the fishing went way downhill..... at least from what it was.

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's why the middle of that section was so great. It's pretty rugged back in there and not easy to get to some of those areas. I put the pictures from the trip up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts