The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After fishing some local creeks for inter fish, and not even seeing one, the boys and I decided to make a trip to Meadow Run this past Tuesday, one day after they stocked. We started at the mouth, and fished the entire Delayed Harvest section, for 2.2 miles upstream. It took us awhile to get on the fish, and figure out what they wanted to eat. I started off the day with 3 straight holdover fish from the same hole, all around 16 inches, and all on white trout magnets. A few minutes later and another hole upstream, I yanked out 3 more small fish, and one of my buddies got his first. The next big hole we all caught fish from, and could tell they had just dumped a bunch in there. There was probably 20-30 fish in that hole including a small palomino that wouldn't bite. I caught 7 more from that hole, and my buddy finally caught his first trout ever! This was his first time fishing, and he did great, for a fairly challenging creek. We managed to pull 9 from that hole, and brought our total for the day to 17. The scenery was amazing, the ice formations were absolutely spectacular, and it was one of the most beautiful trout streams I have ever fished in Pa. I can't wait to go back, and fish it over the summer and fall months. Here's some pictures from that trip.

First of the day!

First trout!

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One of the three buddies I was with and I decided to head out yesterday morning to another creek close by, and give it a shot. After catching 5 small ones myself, and Blake catching 3, we came upon a fairly small hole that I figured was probably holding fish, and I snuck up on it and made a cast. The white and orange trout magnet drifted perfectly back into some logs, and I felt a bump, set the hook, and felt an enormous weight. After about a 3-4 minute fight, I got her up on the bank. Didn't actually have a tape measure, but by making a mark on my rod and measuring later, this fish was right at the 24" mark give or take 1/4" or so. The biggest trout I've ever caught by almost two inches. Took some pictures quick, videoed the release, and watched her swim back into the logs. She was pretty beat up from the fish pens, was all rubbed up, tail was all bitten up, and she had white bumps down her sides. Not the best looking fish, but certainly a bigun!

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Very Nice Fish and Great pics. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
That first photo of your group is a great one . Certainly one to treasure later in life . Looks like a good outing .

·
20,126 Posts
Very nice! Best post of the new fishing season. If you can't smile over those pics and story then you're in it for all the wrong reasons. Congrats!
With any luck maybe that large trout will recover and not just perish from whatever issue it has.

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
The group photos with the ice are incredible. You're all young now, but if one of you don't blow that up, make copies, and give em out as gifts, you'll more than likely be kickin yerself some decades from now. Well, unless you don't like the other guys in the photo.

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, I'm definitely going to print some out and at least add them to my albums. Fortunately, one of the guys dad was out to visit him at college, and wanted to walk along. He didn't have fishing stuff with him, but that was ok because he made a great photographer. I'm sure we will have a ton more pictures from this location in the coming months

·
Registered
231 Posts
Nice fish. My sons and I fish the upper pools above the artifical section. Where do we access where you were fishing at? We would be coming down from the Meadow Run church above.

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
Where do we access where you were fishing at? We would be coming down from the Meadow Run church above.
Keep going down that road past the church. You'll come to a bridge on the hardtop road. Artificial will start there. You can fish it down, or go farther down where they started and fish up.

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Fleroo is correct. Go to where Meadow Run meets the Yough. Theres a parking lot there with a set of wooden stairs down to the creek. Start there and fish all the way until you hit the bridge 2.1 miles upstream. It will take 4-5 hours or so. If I was fishing alone, and not with newer fishermen, it would take less. You can then walk the hard road back down to your vehicle, its about a mile. You can also park one vehicle at the bridge, and one at the bottom parking lot if you want and skip the walk back down the hill. The big fish in the picture did not come from Meadow Run, however, we did see some fish in there probably pushing 20". Fishing that stretch of Meadow Run is not an easy trip or an easy walk by any means. There were several areas that were somewhat difficult to navigate on foot. Lots of slippery areas, some steep cliffs you have to walk across or hop down off of, like you see in the pictures.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Awesome pics and a great story. That stream and holes look spectacular!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts