The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have an issue that I am trying to figure out if it is me or am I missing something. I shoot a Rem 7600 30.06 with a Nikon Prostaff BDC on top. Last year the rifle was benched in at 100 yds and was on. I shot at a doe (175yrds open field twice and missed the first shot she never moved. Next day before going out shot it and it was still on. That night missed a doe at 100yds. put the rifle in the cabinet and used another next time out and got a doe one shot at 125..

This year I benched the rifle before bear season and tweaked it a hair but overall it was there. Checked it this weekend after Bear and it was still good. Last night clean missed a buck at 80 yards?? I have no confidence in the the package now. not sure if i am missing something or if it just me? When I bench it I take it right from the house to the deck and shoot. Does temperature play any part in it? I have never done really anything different. Any idease/suggestions/experiences...

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
First off, have you shot it off "the bench". If all you do is put it on sand bags and shoot, it could be you if you aren't shooting from a rest in the field. I may use the bench to zero them in, but I at least take a few shots sitting or standing as I would be out in the field.

The temp of the gun could also be causing it. But, since it's a 7600 you don't have the normal problems with the stock.

Personally, if I have no confidence in a gun I get rid of it.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All my shots were from resting from a shooting rail on different stands and last night I was the same whereas I was rested on the front ledge of the "hut" so not technically a bench but a rest. I hate to get rid of the gun but until I figure something out I will cary the 35rem

·
Registered
766 Posts
Confidence is the key. The answer is off season practice. The short term is to use another gun to get your confidence up.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
There are 100 things you could be doing differently between shooting off the bench and shooting in the field. The problem most likely isn't the gun but double check and make sure the scope mounts and rings are tight. I am guessing it may be your position, how you mount and or hold the gun, or cheek weld, trigger squeeze, plus excitement and lack of confidence in the gun that are contributing to your issues. Take another gun for the rest of the season and practice with the trouble gun in the off season in more realistic shooting situations to see what is up.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
What type of rest are you using when you "benched" the gun? What part of the gun did your rest on the front rest? A sand bag on the forend will shoot to a different point of impact compared to the barrel resting on a wood tree stand support.

Good luck, Tony

·
Registered
225 Posts
Perfect practice makes perfect. Practice in every position you think you'll be hunting. If you plan on shooting from the bench and sand bags then take them to the tree. I agree with tony also .

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tony300wby said:
What type of rest are you using when you "benched" the gun? What part of the gun did your rest on the front rest? A sand bag on the forend will shoot to a different point of impact compared to the barrel resting on a wood tree stand support.

Good luck, Tony
Tony, How does resting the foreend verses resting the barrel change the point of impact? Not being smart asking a question because I guess I always figured once it is sighted the crosshairs will be the point of impact depending on range and elevation?

I will not carry the rifle until I can troubleshoot it after season.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
It 100% changes the harmonics of the barrel. When you fire a shot the barrel is actually flexing or vibrating like a tuning fork. That is why some factory ammo shoots better out of a gun versus other ammo. Also this is why reloaders spend so much time trying to find the right bullet/powder combo that consistently produces the best. This is also why free floating barrels on rifles are so important because any contact between the barrel and the stock can cause accuracy issues.

In your case when you shoot off the bench make sure nothing is touching the barrel and hold the gun the same way you would when hunting. Do not put your hand over the barrel to hold it down into the sand bags as that will produce a different POI then without your hand contacting the barrel.

·
Banned
851 Posts
We all shoot 760's and never had had a problem with accuracy.

I would say it is your scope mount, or possibly the scope. It really needs to be on there right and tight enough to withstand the recoil of the '06.

I would suggest getting the Leupold STD bases and rings. Once they are on they don't move. My dad has had his 760 in 30-06 since the early 80's topped with the Leupold STD rings and bases and a Leupold VX-II 2-7 and it has been sighted in since then. Even after hunting with it all those years, bumping and falling.

My brother actually got another 760 in '06 last year and just put regular weaver rings on it. He sighted it in and it was fine. Later in the year we went out to shoot it again and it was off more than a bit. So we put STD bases and rings on it, problem solved.

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
Leupold STD's are ok, but they aren't the holy grail. More than one magnum shooter has reported movement of the rear base windage screw under strenuous recoil. I have a few rifles set up with STD's, and they have never given me any trouble (knock wood), but neither have my weaver-style setups, nor my Talley's, nor my warne's....

I'm more with Tony on this one. Resting a rifle on the barrel can and does screw with the POI. I've even noticed groups open or tighten depending on where on the stock the rifle is rested (usually points to a bedding issue, then, and likely isn't the issue with a 760/7600 platform).

Bags under the forearm, then rest the same point in the forearm over a stand shooting rail to confirm, and I bet the rifle shoots as expected.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
trado said:
Tony300wby said:

Good luck, Tony
Tony, How does resting the foreend verses resting the barrel change the point of impact? Not being smart asking a question because I guess I always figured once it is sighted the crosshairs will be the point of impact depending on range and elevation?

I will not carry the rifle until I can troubleshoot it after season.
From your original post it sounded to me like your gun was accurate and shot consistantly from the bench. So to me that seems like everything (scope, mounts, ammo, clean bore, ect) is in order. So its eigther the shooter or the different way the shooter is handling the rifle when not shooting off of a bench. I am no expert on barrel harmonicks, but I do know it will make a difference in accuracy and/or POI. Try shooting a group with a sand bag under the fore end, then shoot another group resting the barrel on a wood 4x4. I will bet that the POI will be different. I have never found consistant accuracy when using a hard object (like wood) as a front rest. I will never use my barrel as a contact point for my front rest. I get more consistant accuracy when my front rest doesnt put extra pressure on the barrel through the forend of the stock, especially on rifles with 2pc stocks.

Good luck, Tony

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I'll try to explain what could happen, when resting the barrel on something. When resting the forend on the bags, your barrel is in it's neutral position. When putting the barrel on the hard surface the weight of the rifle will flex the barrel up ward. If this flex is as little as .006 of an inch.( the thickness of 2 pieces of paper) Your bullet will hit about 21 inches high at 100yards.

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
I have actually started putting a folded towel under my rifle's stock to give a softer rest. Really improved the groups of my harder kicking rifles.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK guys you have got my mind a rolling. There are things here I guess I never paid no mind to, not sure why but it makes sense. Looking back I know all three of the misses were while resting the gun, but if memory serves me me the one shot kill from my sons rifle was behind me and I would not have been able to "rest" it. You are never to old to learn some new things and now apparently I got some testing/shooting to do. Thanks guys and if anyone has anything to add, please do.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Resting is a good thing. Just wouldnt do it with the barrel directly on a something. If I have the chance to rest my rifle on something (treestand cross support, tree branch, ect) I use my hand between the foreend and the support.

Good luck, Tony

1 - 20 of 20 Posts