The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was proposed for 1 county in Md. to go with Antler restriction but the senator who proposed it after flack with drew his bill. We have a very nice outdoor section in our Sunday paper which also includes letters to the editor on outdoor items positive and negative. I couldnt believe how this bill just scared people to death of this happening. I couldnt imagine writing a letter and signing my name than having it published in newspaper of boo hooing because i cant kill a spike. Than the real kicker of how everyone needs this deer for food, give me a break, Todays society of welfare, several other programs for food such as food bank, etc and we have to kill a deer to feed family. I think if i was that hard up the 20.00 gas, 30.00 box of shells, 20.00 sheetz lunch i would just go to market.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Of the hunters I know, very few don't like AR. The ones that don't are the older guys, who blasted a spike by 9 am the first day most years up until AR. I'm not saying all older hunters are the problem. I just think most who are a problem when it comes to AR are 55 yrs +.

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know i find it funny where man thing is to have to kill a deer. Think about our hunting storys, you kill a 5,6,7and 8 you say i got a descent 6 everything okey maybe even show a pic, etc. Kill a spike and asked how you done, " well i got a spike " Ever hear that term. Or you stop somewhere ever ask anyone to come out and look at your spike? I know ar has helped my area in Pa big time. My area was spikes and four pointers maybe 1 12" 8 point was taken once a year in area. We are not overloaded with deer and i would like to see doe season cut back some but its sure nice to see some nice 6 and 8 pointers around especially around 16". Back in 2000 me and a buddy went to Ga. on a hunt where the entire county was 15" outside spread but outfitters rule was 16" to be safe for county rule.We paid good money back than for this hunt considering it so so trophy hunt, Now here in Pa. i have just as good of chance of taking that size buck that i paid good money for 13 years ago.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Ya but soon as you trophy hunters say AR, you forget its purpose. Some may like the meat as much as you like the horns, and 1 buck and 1 doe back in the day helped out with the food bill some and is healthy meat. Myself and many hunters have practiced AR before AR. We didnt shoot the first buck, some did. Now you have mentored hunters blasting these small bucks at 7am so whats the difference?

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alpine Shooter said:
Ya but soon as you trophy hunters say AR, you forget its purpose. Some may like the meat as much as you like the horns, and 1 buck and 1 doe back in the day helped out with the food bill some and is healthy meat. Myself and many hunters have practiced AR before AR. We didnt shoot the first buck, some did. Now you have mentored hunters blasting these small bucks at 7am so whats the difference?
I am not even close to being called a trophy hunter. I just find it nicer to see a descent buck and can leave a spike go with out thinking i have to prove something. Its nice to have meat in the freezer but that is a bonus from hunting.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Thank goodness MD still offers traditional deer opportunities without a state agency telling me what buck I am aloud to shoot. I am fortunate enough to hunt property on the Easteren shore where there is plenty of trophy bucks in which case it is easy to hold out for one knowing the vast number of them in the area I hunt. If I still hunted public land in the north west part of the state I would be devastated with antler restrictions

·
Banned
979 Posts
Doc in Pa said:
AR did more to ruin the future of hunting in Pa than I can deem possible. Doc in Pa.
Please enlighten us oh omnipotent one! Not your opinion but facts please, I'll get my pop corn!

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Will just say; we love venison and count on it. Alot less venison around our way since AR/Antlerless kill off began.
To say some PA residents don't count on venison is incorrect.
Monday nite roast in crockpot is a staple in our neck of the woods.
I understand the desire for large antlers but not at the cost of 2/3rds of the herd or more.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Thats too bad one would think that with the oprotunity to harvest 4 buck;something could have been worked out.I hunt in the bow only herford area where we have earn a buck and think its great.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Just like your opinion,BW, you have yours and I have mine.IF i have to explain it to you, You are too bais to have a clear mind. Doc in Pa.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Actually he asked you a letgitimate question, you made the statement, support it!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Well I think he might mean that in SOME parts of the state the GC has allowed hunters to decimate the herd to the point where a new generation of hunters will see very few or no deer and become quickly bored with the sport...this is just my guess

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Bill_Weber_RRT said:
Doc in Pa said:
AR did more to ruin the future of hunting in Pa than I can deem possible. Doc in Pa.
Please enlighten us oh omnipotent one! Not your opinion but facts please, I'll get my pop corn!
The facts are with the arguing that started with AR. a hunter could always shoot a trophy buck years ago and many killed just as large of bucks as some today. These hunters hunted and scouted. Now hunters who want to kill a buck, have to let many walk so we can make it easier to see more average 16" bucks for todays spoiled trophy hunters. Please you enlighten us how we killed big bucks 30 and 40 years ago. That would be plenty harder, I will start the BUTTERED pop corn.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Buzz87 said:
Well I think he might mean that in SOME parts of the state the GC has allowed hunters to decimate the herd to the point where a new generation of hunters will see very few or no deer and become quickly bored with the sport...this is just my guess

·
Administrator
29,947 Posts
Before anyone gets any kind of popcorn popping, let's get back to the topic.

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Kip Feroce said:
Will just say; we love venison and count on it. Alot less venison around our way since AR/Antlerless kill off began.
To say some PA residents don't count on venison is incorrect.
Monday nite roast in crockpot is a staple in our neck of the woods.
I understand the desire for large antlers but not at the cost of 2/3rds of the herd or more.
I feel if you own a pc and can pay for internet service your venison roast was by choice as mine was corn beef and cabbage. Yes the bonus of taking a deer yields meat in the freezer i agree. But, i dont feel anyone in this era has to kill deer vs. starving to death. I had a buddy his son messed up big time by killing a deer in Pa. with a spotlight. Loss of lic. in several states big fine and claimed he needed the meat. Yea right, he single living at home and needed the meat. Having descent horns is far from trophy hunting and i dont consider myself a trophy hunter.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Not sure if any would starve but, if you don't realize that the average deer yields aprox 120.00 worth of comparable red meat at the store, and multiple deer harvested by multiple family members makes a huge difference in thier quality of life we don't know the same people is all.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I think people in Maryland need to worry more about their gun rights then having AR. O'Malley is working hard to take those rights away. Beretta already has one foot out the door in that state...lets hope they come to PA and add jobs to this state.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
As one of those 55+ I can say I miss seeing deer when afield. Yes there are bigger bucks on average today but I never developed a taste for antler soup. The obsession with how many inches is a product of the tv experts who use bait and high fences on many shows. We need some way to balance the herd so more opportunities for the young hunters are present. Oh and as far as needing meat I agree not needed to prevent starvation but some tenderloin on the grill still gets my mouth watering.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts