The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 2118 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started a thread on this several years ago.. Lets here from Camp owners in McKean Co. We are several miles south of Port Allegany. Spent a week up there a few weeks back. Can't wait to get back up there...

·
Registered
282 Posts
I hunted up there one time around 1988. I remember the big woods and mountains. What's the deer hunting like up there now? Last I heard, the deer population was low up there. Ever see any big bucks up there?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Too many bear.. Deer are down but nice bucks showing up.. Lots of fishing fun..

·
Registered
736 Posts
When I was about 7 we had a camp in Mckean county near Rassalas sp? near kathryn swamp Sp? Last summer wife and I took a ride and we found it It was alot smaller then I remember bu looked exactly the same except the current owners put on a new back door. I would love to finfd a camp up in that area.

·
Banned
265 Posts
I have been hunting deer in the Allegheny Nat'l Forest for thirty years and the herd did get clobbered when the PGC changed doe season to run concurrent with buck. It will never be the same as it was when doe was a seperate season and only folks who were feeding their families were out hunting - but everything changes.

I have been able to take a deer every year, and several years took two, but it is harder and too many of what we call yahoos - gangs of pick-ups with "hunters" in the beds - are cruising the logging roads.

That said it looks like the herd is making a come back and the valley where we hunt is crawling with deer - and some real serious bucks. The price of a camp hasn't gone down much - YET - but as the economy tanks I would bet that there will be some bargins if you have hard, cold cash in hand.

The problem now is that camps are being broken into and stripped of anything, including copper plumbing, that can be sold fast for money to buy meth.

I am really happy that our camp has year round neighbors.

Terry

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
kswiggy,

To my understanding the camps in McKean are cheaper than Potter. I don't know about Tioga county. Taxes are cheaper in McKean than Potter to. I live in McKean and camp in potter, both are beautiful counties, but the potter county people are the friendliest people in the state IMO.

·
Registered
82 Posts
What area near Port is your camp? On 155? I grew up in Port, right in town. Great place to grow up as a kid and now that I am older an wiser, great place to live!

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Our Camp is 3.5 miles back Scaffold Lick Rd., near the State Gamelands. Port Allegany is one of my favorite small towns. Do you know Chet Clark?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Our camp is just outside of Kane just before the Col. Inn on rt6. I've hunted up there since 1990. I wish we still had the 3 day doe season. The deer herd is nothing like it used to be. I remember sitting in my stand on opening day and seeing 75 deer before noon. I'm sure some were the same just running back through but it sure was fun seeing them. It used to be if you didn't have a parking spot atleast an hour before sun up, good luck finding one close to where you wanted to be. Anymore you don't even hear another truck driving in. Now, all the old wells are running again & all the old overgrown roads are opened back up so a lot of the areas are really changed. I haven't hunted up there for a couple of years now but I might try it again this year. It was just getting too depressing; sitting there seeing nothing & thinking of seasons past. I remember 3 of us all filling our buck tags within 30 minutes of each other. Sure they weren't bruisers but we weren't looking to make the record books. We just wanted to see deer, maybe tag one, get back to camp with all the guys, drinks a few cold ones & tell stories. None of us cared if we saw the 30 pointer, though we did take some dandies; even back then. We were Pa deer hunters carring on a tradition. The last time I hunted opening day, half the camps were empty. Guys don't take their kids anymore. Kids want to see deer. I'm lucky. My son hunted a few times up there with me & rarely saw a deer. Last year he tagged his first deer ever right here at home (ohio). I was talking to him the other day & I asked him where he would rather hunt opening day this year. He said Pa, thats deer camp. He just loves being in the big woods. Hopefully he'll be able to get away from collage for a couple of days. We can't wait!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mtnboy is my neighbor, on top of the mnt. from me...Scaffold Lick Hollow....

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Does anyone in the Sackett hollow area know who has the Woodland hunt club?
I think that it is close to the Scaffold Lick Hollow Rd.
Thanks

·
Registered
82 Posts
mtnboy said:
Our Camp is 3.5 miles back Scaffold Lick Rd., near the State Gamelands. Port Allegany is one of my favorite small towns. Do you know Chet Clark?
Mntboy,
I know Chet Clark enough to recognize him (he put a cluth in my old truck). We used to ride dirt bikes up at the pits when I was a kid. Maybe I shouldn't be admitting to that? Ha ha ha I haven't been up in that area Scaffold Lick in a long time.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dirt bikes, home made dune buggies from VW beetles, you name it.. They all ran the spoil banks and pits on top of Scaffold lick. Guys came in from both sides, 155 and 46.. We used to ride across into Crosby in the evening looking at tons of deer. Times sure have changed.. Our place was purchased in 1961.. Lots of history for us in that piece of country...

1 - 20 of 2118 Posts