The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's understandable that not many on here will be interested in this but it's the end of an era at MC.
Mr Jim Binder has retired, well he has accumulated a couple months worth of sick/personal days over the years and will be officially retired at the end of July. But he's no longer working.

The pleasant surprise is the position has been filled, well sorta filled. The job description has been changed and this in my opinion is a good move.
Jack Gilbert who retired last year as a Waterfowl Biologist and worked mostly at MC, his position was never filled.
So now the new position includes Jack's work plus being in charge of the MC facility. This person will also live in the Resident housing provided by the PGC as soon as Jim moves out.
According to my info a young lady by the name of Lauren Fenstamaker (sp?) will be filling this job.

The other position will be Land Manager of MC and surrounding SGL's that this crew of 6 or 7 are in charge of. The new Land Manager will be Linda Swank. There use to be a Foreman, Jeff Hinkernell who also just retired, Linda will now be land manager/foreman of the workers and habitat decisions.

Jim Binder use to be in charge of both land management and MC facilities.

Did you know that one of the requirements of Jim's old position of MC Resident Manger, was you had to have been a WCO.
That limited the number of really qualified applicants. (Let's face it, WCO's are not known for their communications skills, they were taught investigating skills).
Now, as it should have been all for these years, we're gonna have a real Waterfowl Biologist in charge. I like that.
By splitting up the job description the PGC was able to work around that silly requirement of having to be a WCO to get the job. There were 13 applicants for this new job.

Also, the Land Management position can now fully concentrate on the many needs of MC.
This is a win-win for waterfowl hunters here in SE Pa.

Plus this will be the first females in charge at MC.

Congrats to both Lauren & Linda!

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
Well, I guess I am interested and if you say its a good thing then that's a fine endorsement. But not being in the in-crowd probably makes me the only person on the planet that hasn't the faintest clue on what MC is.

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Middle Creek Wildlife Management Area

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
If she can refocus and make MC what it was once about, a waterfowl refuge, this is a great thing. If she chooses to stay the course, MC will remain a joke to the average waterfowler. What does anybody know about her? Past history and practices? Prior experience?

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No details yet, tried to google with no success.
According to Al, from behind the counter at MC, he has worked with Lauren on 2 days. Al thinks she's maybe in her 30's, sharp as a tack.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Thanks for the update. Should be interesting to see what, if any, changes are made there.
As stated above if she's a waterfowl biologist and manages it as intended I would guess some major changes would be forthcoming. There is absolutely no reason for that place not to be holding 1.5x what is does now. Just my opinion. :)

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
She's a fellow DVU alumni and she seems to be a big fan of waterfowl, hopefully will be a good thing for you guys.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Yes the WCO's do have the land manager thing tied up. You could have been a manager of Mossy Oak Properties or have all the knowledge in the world about land management but unless you are a WCO you can't be a land manager. I hear Lauren is really into birds of all kinds. She should be a good fit for MC.

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How do you know Lauren? What was her previous job?

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I sent an email to the PGC and ask that it be forwarded to Lauren. While waiting for a response here's some more big MC News.

The K-Ville Hotel might be open for business by this fall!!

This pic is of the back of the building, shows the big outside Deck they're gonna have.

And the front of the Hotel.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Wow... it looks huge! Is that dining area under the deck? One of my favorite stops... toasted cheese burger and beer. Hope they expanded the parking for trailers...

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Parking could be an issue, we'll have to wait and see about trailers. You could park the trailer in my field and then just drive your pickup.

We should have a waterfowler get together sometime after they open. We could call it the K-Ville Symposium.

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
I thought the Charlie buying thing was a given!! That's the new standard. Heck, if you can live in uppitty Schoeneck, we know he can afford it. Last time I was there, it took one of his servants 20 minutes to walk down and let me in the main gate!!

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I gotta talk to Curtis (the owner) and see if we can't get a "waterfowl room" to accommodate everybody.

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Kwright032 said:
Charlie, did you have a send off party for Jim??
I did ask if there was any kind of going away party for Jim.
Nobody seemed to know of anything. Maybe they just weren't telling me. HA

1 - 20 of 24 Posts