The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to place an order to Minnesota Trapline Products. I plan to order some MB Traps, but I am not sure if I want to get 1/2 dozen 450's & 1/2 dozen 550's or should I just get a dozen 550's?

I am going to trap fox, coon, coyote, fisher and bobcat. They say the 450's will hold the baddest coyote so I am sure they would be good.

I like the 550's, but I'm afraid they may be just a little too big for fox and coon, especially grey fox.

I plan on getting closed jawed no matter what one I get. They will be a nice addition to my array of traps.

Any ideas??

·
Registered
679 Posts
No complaints with the 550's on gray fox or coon here..
The 450 is a better fox trap and they've held every yote that I caught in em, by their toes.. The only thing I'll say about the 450's is you don't get a very high catch on yotes...

·
Registered
18,497 Posts
Definitely the 550's. I picked up two dozen last season, great trap. I caught coon, red fox, grey fox, coyote and fisher in them with no issues.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Get the 550's you'll love them. We got offset 650's and they are even ok on fox. I've heard horror stories about the 650's and fox, but have not experienced any yet. I know guys get yotes in 450's, but you will lose alot more with them. 550's all the way man......good luck.

·
Banned
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I just placed a big order to MTP and I'm getting the regular jawed 550's. It all went through so they musta had them. Wooohooooo!

I can't wait until my order gets here!

·
Registered
655 Posts
Not to mess with u Roaddawg, I have both, just got my 450's this year, man do I like them. Next order try a couple 450's.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I would buy the 550's.They are good for most any critter going. The 450's don't catch coyotes high enough for me.

·
Banned
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
oksus said:
Not to mess with u Roaddawg, I have both, just got my 450's this year, man do I like them. Next order try a couple 450's.
I will get some 450'S for next year. I just wanted to get a dozen to add to my traps. I do like the 450's so they'll be my next dozen. Thanks to all.

I am patiently waiting for my order to get here now. They should be here before the weekend so I'm gonna make some sets and get my new 550's boiled down and ready to go.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts