The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just looked at the Bear harvest report and they are at 4072 this year, the 2005 record was 4165.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
You have to remember it is taking 32 + days to get to that record this year compared to i think 11 or 12 days with only 4 of those days are rifle the other days were archery for that record in 2011 and if i remember there were not a lot taken in archery that year. It will most likely be a record but with you have to factor in all the extra seasons and weapons allowed to use this year. I dont think the PGC would have thought so many would have been harvested in the early muzzy season.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Pchunter, I think you right about that.
Game comm wasn’t prepared to handle all the kills from ML this year.
Did you see how many from some of those townships up North.?

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Pchunter, I think you right about that.
Game comm wasn’t prepared to handle all the kills from ML this year.
Did you see how many from some of those townships up North.?
Yeah they put a hurting on them up north this year. Even in my county Perry was more than doubled harvest compared to other years.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wasn't the reason for the early season to harvest many more bears? The early season would harvest more sows and cubs before they den up. I think the PGC did know what they were doing.
That what I have heard, also

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
That what I have heard, also
The reason they took the number of bears that were taken was because the population of bears was to the point that they needed to be thinned out. If the bears are not there and available they will not be killed. Back when there was a short season the population continued to grow and the problems with bears continued to grow and Gary Ault's research showed that we had more bears than we thought we had and that we cold kill a higher number and not jeopardize the resource. He was right and our harvest since the longer season prove it!

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I have more trail camera pictures of bear this year than I have ever had, anecdotal more than scientific but considering I been there 24 years and we used to have none, it tends to support the need for increased harvest. Dang things eat way too much corn and they are eating apples off my trees that deer could eat.

Reactions: Danesdad

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm pretty sure Pennsylvania can handle we'll over 20 thousand bear, it's the bear and human conflicts because most people don't understand bear,not every part of the state is over run with bear the early season should have been set in place where the population is out of control not state wide, the game commission guys even told us at the check station they did not expect this bear kill,I just wonder what the mortality rate is for archery and muzzleloader. I have read a lot of early season storys of fellow pa bear Hunters not finding there bear..

·
Registered
56 Posts
Bear harvest should exceed 4500 easily this year. This Saturday my guess is close to 300 more killed with buck/doe/bear open. Guys will be in woods as long as weather is good - which is what it's looking like. I'm completely good with muzzleloader/archery/bear rifle seasons. I'd prefer to see the extended bear during deer rifle eliminated. It's just my opinion that it's not necessary - but it sells a bunch of bear tags to deer rifle hunters. Unless bear numbers significantly dwindle the extended season will remain in place.

·
Registered
304 Posts
From what I saw, nobody was out hunting Bear rifle.
We were pretty much the only vehicles out and about. didn't see 1 other group larger than 2 guys all bear season.

I liked the ML season and bear during buck, but feel it took away some of the interest for bear rifle.

If they want to keep all these seasons, I won't waste time hunting around home anymore (2C) where I have to depend on pressure pushing them into the thick.

·
Registered
10,683 Posts
From what I saw, nobody was out hunting Bear rifle.
We were pretty much the only vehicles out and about. didn't see 1 other group larger than 2 guys all bear season.

I liked the ML season and bear during buck, but feel it took away some of the interest for bear rifle.

If they want to keep all these seasons, I won't waste time hunting around home anymore (2C) where I have to depend on pressure pushing them into the thick.
My observations mirror yours. I hardly saw anybody in bear rifle season and I hunted 2F and 2G. This was probably the lightest turnout that I've ever seen in my life. When the bear opener went to Saturday, my group noticed a big drop-off in participation in the NC region for whatever reason and I've had a few others tell me the same. Any time they expand the early season opportunities, I also notice a corresponding drop in rifle season participation, though there are always a few who chime in to tell me that I'm wrong about that.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Bear rifle Season in 3B per my observations had a very high hunter turnout in the larger camps/hunt clubs. Much more vs last year. I really didn't expect it...but it was what it was likely caused by high preseason bear sightings.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Agree Loggy in 3B around Hillsgrove and Fox Twp general area was pretty busy on Saturday bear rifle opener. I hunted the bear muzzleloader week and the 2nd bear archery week and I hardly saw anyone around. I didn't see a bear during those 2 weeks but was fortunate enough to harvest a bear on rifle opener. My 2nd bear in last 3 years in 3B. Overall in 3B the bear population isn't what it was 8-10 years ago I think due to extended seasons but I do think numbers but maybe there was just too many around and numbers are stable now. I won't complain I love hunting in 3B. Going for the triple this spring gobbler

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I hunted bears in 2G/2H for 2 days of muzzleloader and saw very few other hunters and 3 days of rifle and as usual since the Saturday opener saw a ton of guys in the woods Sat and hardly any Mon/Tues......Not a judgement on anything just my observations

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Well I for one am happy for the extended season, due to the expansion for 4A I was able to harvest not only our camp’s first bear but also the first bear I’ve ever seen in the woods while hunting. He weighed in at 475# live weight and was 7.5’ from nose to tail when skinned, for reference my brother is 6’3”.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts