The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in the past I have always fished with Hip boots, but for my birthday last week I got chest waders with the built in footies and boots that go over them.

My dumb question, what do people where under the chest waders, do you wear socks, or just put your feet in like you do with a wet suit.

Please feel free to laugh and make fun of me.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
For me... It depends on the weather. If its cold, I put whatever on I need to keep warm. If it's hot, I think nothing underneath would feel good standing in a cold stream

·
Registered
769 Posts
i have a buddy that wears nothing but boxers in the summer under his waders. At that point I dont understand why he doesnt just wet wade

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Depends on how cold it is. Tomorrow it is forcasted to be 27F in the morning were I'll be fishing. I'll most likely have a liner sock and then a pair or two of wool socks on my feet. A layer of underarmor(long johns)and probably sweatpants.
Do you get cold easily or hate being cold. Something to consider.

·
Registered
6,906 Posts
Wool socks on the feet. The water is going to be in the 40s, or 50s at best.

I wear those quick drying nylon fishing pants. When they are on sale they are not very expensive. And they do dry very quick. When jeans get wet, they stay wet.

When it's cold I wear fleece sweat pants under the fishing pants.

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
If they're breathables, dress warm-esp. your socks.

If they are neoprene they'll be a bit warmer-too warm in the late spring/summer.

If they kind of "stick" to your clothes when putting them on, a little corn starch or baby powder helps a lot the first few times you wear them.

You will probably like them much better than hp boots.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I have a pair of merino wool wading socks they go to my thighs and I have a pair of fleece wading pants they have stirrups on them so the pants don't ride up not a dumb question if its really cold ill wear a pair of long johns under the wading pants

·
Banned
3,541 Posts
I try not to wear jeans under my waders, most of the time it is a pair of long underwear and or gym shorts. I find that jeans can be quite abrasive to waders.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I just wear sweatpants and a pair of wool socks this time of year, 2 pairs of sweatpants in the winter and 2 pairs of wool socks. Then just wear whatever clothing you normally would to keep you warm on top

·
Registered
318 Posts
New to fly fishing, had one on the other day but my knot came undone where the leader gets tied onto the tippet. MY question is there a special knot to tie the two together. I was using a tapered tippet and 3x leader

1 - 13 of 13 Posts