Registered
9,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Late night last night so I slept in.

Who went? Success?

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Big old Miss-aroo for me this morning. I surely thought this was the end of my Va season and I was filling my final tag.

He came off the roost super early, and came right into my lap. It was so dark and overcast (Our foliage is thick) I could hardly see him. When I put the red dot on him, I instantly realized I had the brightness setting too high. It literally blinded me and I couldn't find his head. When I took the shot I did not feel comfortable.

He looked to be a young two year old. He had a skinny 7-8 inch beard but was a full fan. He must have been a satellite bird because I have not seen him in there this year. Oh well. It's an awful feeling but you have to bounce back.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Very slow around here right now. Hoping for some more action or at least gobbling this week with some nicer weather. Never heard a gobble this morning.

·
Registered
19,982 Posts
Put an arrow through a strutter this morning at 6:20. Called in 3 long beards off of the roost. Pictures later.

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
Congrats dpms!

I didn't hunt...but man..it's about picture perfect with the clouded Sky's. And nice temp...

Back at it tomorrow morning...think I'm gunna hunt a new area in some big woods and see what I can do...

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Went out on a bird I really want to get. He was on the other side of the hollow. I jetted across the strip mine field and waited to hear him again. Could hear an atve coming up from the bottom. Guy drove right past me and right towards the bird. It was roughly 6:20 so I just packed up and went home. Tomorrow is another day. I gotta just laugh at this point. It is and will be one of those seasons.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Hunted Somerset County Friday and Saturday. On Friday I called in one, then two more, but couldn't get a shot. On Saturday heard a few gobbles, but couldn't get anything to cooperate.

Back home today in Warren County where I haven't heard a gobble yet. I busted two off the roost this morning, but I don't know what they were. This is the quietest spring I think I've ever heard.

Steve.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Starting to get delirious......LOL

Another 3:30 wake up and almost got it done with the flinter this morning. Needed another 20yds on 2 slammer longbeards.
Know these birds well......new gameplan for the morning!

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I filled tag #1 at 8 this morning. It was pretty quiet after fly down until I heard this one gobble about 80 yards out. He was one of my lighter birds, just over 15lbs, 8.5" beard and a 1 1/16 spurs.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Another decent day. I went to the same spot as saturday and heard three different birds. The one closed the distance from 400 to about 100 but something happened in the last stretch that made him shut up and not come in. I'm thinking either a coyote spooked him off or else he met up with a hen that was roosted pretty close to us. Back after him tomorrow before work!

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Not a peep this morning..I did have a dual with a hen....but no gobbling at all....I left the spot at 11am and went down to the creek and caught some trout.CONGRATS dpm!

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Beautiful day,slight frost...Heard a gobbler from the roost.He came down and drifted away answering everything...hens were with him I suspect.Moved to another spot...same thing again.Things should get better towards end of the week.

·
Registered
111 Posts
According to my Fit-bit, I covered over 8 miles late morning trying to strike up a bird, and nothing. It just amazes me as I covered ground reminiscing all the different spots I worked birds over the years. The birds definitely not as numerous as they were years ago, and seem very localized now holding to certain areas only, with no satellite gobblers like years past?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Not a peep, was stone cold silent! My b-inlaw was hunting bout 10 miles away and never heard a gobble either. Was highly disappointed since it was such a nice morning!

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
Congrats Casey!

·
Registered
496 Posts
May 9th was actually my 9th day of hunting including Jr day. And I finally killed one. Usually I am much closer in nine days or have one in the freezer but not this year. I started and heard Two pretty far back and I think across a swamp. So I tried to get close but really had no responses. Then about 6:00 some type of very loud equipment began on gas pipeline near me. Couldn't hear anything. I gave it 15 minutes and started walking out at about 6:25 the noise stopped. And then I heard two gobblers. I turned and went back and moved about three times before I got one hooked. He cut me off a few times(gobbling over my call) and I shut up and waited. He came right where I expected and stood there for an eternity. I didn't need to move my barrel or head much but I waited. I have seen probably seen 35+ turkeys die in front of me in the last 15 years. And let me tell you my heart was pounding and I was breathing heavy. Finally I made the shot on a very respectable 2 year old. And that is why I get up early day after day. Can't wait for number two.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts