The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have off the next two days so l figured l would go out and listen. l filled my tag the first Monday of the season. I wasn't expecting much gobbling from what l have been reading here. I heard 3 different birds gobble but by 6:30 all is quiet

·
Premium Member
24,169 Posts
Heard nothing so far heading to another farm to see if I can fire something up

·
Registered
5,773 Posts
My youngest son hiked to the top of the Mountain (on GLs) and struck a bird really close, just over the hill. Setup and called again and was expecting to see it's head come over the rise any second and WHAM, a shot. He walked up and there was a guy setting in a blind made of sticks, wasn't calling and had no idea that nice longbeard was anywhere in the world. My son said he's done turkey hunting, lol. (He's not)

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I heard 3 birds this morning and filled tag number 2 at 6:20AM in WMU 2E. 20 pnds, 9 1/2 inch beard and inch long spurs. He gobbled 3 times on the roost and answered my calls each time. I must have walked past him climbing the ridge because he was behind me and I had to reposition. Winchester Longbeard #4s really did a number on him.

·
Super Moderator
14,272 Posts
I just can't seem to get a break. This morning at 2.2 miles in one was gobbling on the ground just a short distance out a gas well road on the game lands. I got set up at an intersections of roads. He answered as soon as I called to him. Within a couple minutes he gobbled again and had cut the distance in half. If I had been set up where I could see out his gas well road he was probably just about in range. A stinking hen started cutting as she was coming out the other road right toward him. She took him right back out the trail to a pipeline and a couple hundred yards away. He would gobble but he wasn't coming.

I moved on them and once again she took him the other direction and moved further away. Then I tried to go around them and get out in front of them but I must have spooked them in the process.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
12,364 Posts
Well my son is having a rough go of it this year. Call another longbeard in perfectly this morning before school and work and it was another swing and miss. This one was pretty much a textbook hunt as we were setup about 100 yards or so from him on the roost. He flew down and came straight to us. Didn't run but he was at a quick walk. Gobbled like crazy which I don't think helped the boys nerves. LOL. Going to try again in the morning if it isn't raining.

Been a good year so far for us. I think only one morning that I have not heard a gobbler and that was this past Sunday in Ohio. Of course it rained all morning so that didn't help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts