The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,169 Posts
I just worked one since daylight couldn’t do a thing with it, must have gobbled 300 times, he eventually walked out the mountain and quit gobbling. More than likely got with a hen unless someone came in from the bottom and spooked it, oh well it had me fired up

Reactions: steelhead125

·
Registered
69 Posts
Birds are incredibly vocal in 2A awesome morning couldn't deal the deal though. Slowed down but they fired back up at 10 last time we'll see what happens.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Heard 3 birds in the distance and a hen behind me scolding me off and on and I heard her fly down. One of the birds I heard must have gobbled over a hundred times. Having to be at work by 8 and a 40 minute drive from home kind of limits me on time. Come Saturday I know where these birds have been roosting so I can make a move. There was a gobbler roosted in the trees on Saturday above the field I was set up in today. The hen I heard may have had him with her but he never made a peep. I was super quiet this morning and evening killed my headlights parking in the field. Was a perfect morning though.

·
Banned
1,186 Posts
Heard a bunch this morning also heard a bunch of hens with them.
Had another going nuts a 8 a m . Didn't have time to go after him where he was and get to work on time. Tomorrow shold be good.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Oldest daughter smashed one at 0606. Had three of them gobbling and he was the first one to arrive. She was seated to my right and she whispered " here he comes" he strutted right to 35 yds. Jr is currently working on the other two as I type this..

·
Super Moderator
14,272 Posts
Had two gobbling hard but they were in the wrong side of a major creek. I was hoping I could get them to fly over to my side but they wouldn't. I wasn't able to fly and unwilling to swim to their side so we just parted company after about an hour of talk.

Only birds I heard in over nine miles of travel on the bicycle.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Had two gobbling hard but they were in the wrong side of a major creek. I was hoping I could get them to fly over to my side but they wouldn't. I wasn't able to fly and unwilling to swim to their side so we just parted company after about an hour of talk.

Only birds I heard in over nine miles of travel on the bicycle.

Dick Bodenhorn
Dick - do your wear tall l-shank rubber boots when you ride in? One of the reasons I do this now is due to exactly the scenario you just described. More than once, a creek killed the deal. Now, as long as I’m legal to be there, crossing is usually an option.

·
Registered
10,833 Posts
Got out of my truck this morning and had three gobbling on the roost 50 yards off the road. Walked a access road above them about 150 yards and set up on the side of the hill parallel to them. They ended up flying down and went the opposite direction out towards a pipeline. Walked down that way and heard them gobbling down below me. Got quiet after that. Pretty sure if I stayed on that line for the rest of the morning they would of came back out. There is turkey scratch and scat all over it but I just can’t sit there for hours in silence. Drove up to the top of the mountain and didn’t hear a peep for the rest of the morning. I will go after them again on the 16th.

·
Super Moderator
14,272 Posts
Dick - do your wear tall l-shank rubber boots when you ride in? One of the reasons I do this now is due to exactly the scenario you just described. More than once, a creek killed the deal. Now, as long as I’m legal to be there, crossing is usually an option.
You couldn't cross this one with hip boots and maybe not even with chest waders. To cross that creek you need a boat or swim.

Stinking turkeys have wings so they can fly across such obstacles though. But, no they just stand over there gobbling expecting the hen to do the flying.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
You couldn't cross this one with hip boots and maybe not even with chest waders. To cross that creek you need a boat or swim.

Stinking turkeys have wings so they can fly across such obstacles though. But, no they just stand over there gobbling expecting the hen to do the flying.

Dick Bodenhorn
Oh, wow. Yeah, forget that.

And turkeys...yep. Most vain male animal on Earth. “She should be coming to me.”

1 - 14 of 14 Posts