The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Was a quiet morning so far. I hunted this farm yesterday and heard 5 different birds. Today only one was gobbling. He’s taking ride home with me though. Gonna sit it out with my dad for awhile to see what happens.

Good luck.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Today was the first day out of the last 3 that I even heard a bird. I am a run and gunner on state gamelan here in fayette. Had 2 maybe 3 answering like crazy this morning, they went the other way tho...rainy and foggy. Still pretty deep hopefully some more speak up. GL

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Foggy and quiet here in 5A, near Michaux. I've only heard one bird in the distance... he gobbled twice at first light, and that was it. Two distant shots from the SF. Gonna stick it out for awhile yet. We got one here during the youth hunt and never heard a gobble until 9:30 that morning.

·
Registered
21,571 Posts
I didn't go out this morning, but I heard two shots down over the hill where I usually hunt. Figures.

·
Registered
5,628 Posts
Ended my season this morning on a Jake with a 4 inch beard. Had 2 long beards and a Jake going nuts At first light. Called them from a ways and the Jake gave me the best shot. I haven’t killed enough turkeys to be picky so down he went, weather was foggy and misty but the birds were talking.

·
Premium Member
24,169 Posts
Didn’t hear a thing today, pretty quiet around here

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Took my wife out this morning.
She passed on 2 Jakes at 15 yds.
Then 2 long beards came in.
Unfortunately she missed at 45 yds.
But good day in the fog.

·
Registered
19,667 Posts
Sent an arrow through #2 at 10 this morning. Never heard a gobble today. This 2 year old snuck in on me without gobbling. Pretty cool melanistic black back feathers on him.

Attachments

·
Registered
463 Posts
Took my 10yo out for the 2nd time this season. Set up in a blind before light. Had birds gobbling on both sides of us before fly down. Some soft yelps brought in 3 longbeards strutting before sunrise. Complete Miss #1 at 15 yards. They didn’t spook real bad and I managed to bring them back into 40 yards about 30 minutes later. . While working them closer I called another gobbler across a ridge from behind us. He rolled this one at 25 yards, but it got up and ran off.

My son was very bummed.

He’s now the proud owner of a red dot sight on his youth 870 AND a proud owner of a sore shoulder (we just got back from sighting and practicing).

Didn’t roost the birds but had a idea they’d be in the general area. Got lucky. Hen flew down and landed so close to the blind that her wings brushed out blind.

My best turkey hunt ever, just wish my kid would have connected on one of them. Turkey fever got the best of him.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Was a great day for sure.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Tough sledding today. I heard one bird gobble twice on the roost, way far off, and that was it. One of the neighbors spent most of the morning running some sort of heavy equipment up and down the lane that borders two sides of the property, and I don't think that helped my cause much. I'll be spending the last three weekends of the season up in 3C hunting with friends, so hopefully we can catch up with a few up there.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Since the first day when i shot bird #1, i have heard 1 gobble all weak. Its almost identical as last year. i have put on a lot of miles on my boots. Maybe next week will be better. Good luck everyone.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts