The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good luck to everyone heading out today and be safe!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Had very little action yesterday morning. Heading out hoping for better luck today. Good luck and be safe.

·
20,146 Posts
Another garbage weather AM in eastern PA. Cloudy, foggy, drippy, and a little breezy. Walked up on a group of deer right where I wanted to listen.....they snorted forever of course. That's about the point where I muttered 'should have stayed in bed' haha. I'll sit out here for a little and bag it before too long

·
Super Moderator
12,827 Posts
Another quiet day.

Not sure what to make of it. Last season was similar. Actually, this year is worse. Atleast last year they'd gobble once or twice on the limb....not hearing them or seeing them....aside from my Jake buddy. Been out every morning and the only days with action have been when I was in his field.

Not seeing hardly anything from the truck and I travel a little ways to hunt...saw 1 gobbler today and he had a good dozen hens around him...my Jake buddy has 2 hens with him...I told myself last season that was the issue....but it never did turn on....

I'm not sure what to make of it. Fall I see big flocks in my areas. Historically they've always been great in the spring and not much has changed. Facebook just told me 12 years ago I killed a double bearder in the same spot I was in this morning..used to hear so many from that spot you couldn't count them...

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Very quiet here this morning. Got out and took walkabout at gobble time again today. Where I heard 6-8 yesterday, I heard 2 today. They gobbled two times on the limb and done.....

·
Registered
21,257 Posts
Never heard a thing this morning. I did see a hen in the field and later, one came into my yard after I was done. Far cry from Monday when the gobbler was yacking his head off. Today, all was quiet. Maybe he moved off or maybe he's getting smarter.

·
Banned
1,186 Posts
Planted my decoy this morning anout 30 yards from a deer that decide to snot its head off. Then ran towards the gobbler that was going nuts. Blowing all the way. Gobbler answered me after that but went the other way.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Took yesterday off to recharge the battery. Today was pretty uneventful. We heard 1 bird on the roost. He gobbled 2 times. We got set up and he gobbled one more time on the ground. We stayed put til 8 thinking maybe he'd come looking. No dice. Hit a few other areas and it was dead.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
#5 for the season fell this morning.....we rounded one up for my buddy's stepdad.
Heard a couple decent birds on the roost and this guy came in with 2 strutting jakes. Very subdominant bird.....stayed red headed and away from the more dominant pair of jakes. Never strutted or gobbled even once. Nice heavy 20lb bird and decent 9.5" beard, but short barely 3/4" Spurs. Smallest full spurs I've seen on a 2yr old bird
Ignored the decoy spread being so meek, but a hen did not and wandered within range with him slinking behind her.
Not the textbook strutting and gobbling show but we'll take it!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Got to my spot to listen this morning and got out of the truck at 5:28 and "bam" gobbled about 100 yards away ! I got my stuff headed out the gas well road towards him and got to within 80 yards setup my 2 hen decoys and then climbed into some laural and sat against a tree. Gave a couple light clucks and soft yelps and he hammered back so I just clucked and yelped a couple more times sparingly and waited as I figured he could see the decoys from the tree when it got light. he hammered about 50 times then flew down and came straight to the decoys where I dropped him at 6:37! One of the other things that happened while I was waiting I had a bobcat stalk in on me to about 4' away and I never heard him until he was right there and even then I looked right by him at first then saw him just standing there in half stride starring at me ! I shooed him away, or I thought and when I shot the bird and it was flopping he came running out to claim my prize and I had to chase him off ! What a morning !

·
Super Moderator
14,201 Posts
Didn't hear a thing on the roost this morning. Was in about a mile when I heard one off in the distance. I headed that direction, it was the direction I was going anyway. When I got to where I figure he was I called and he answered from a few hundred yards away. I set up and called to him a few times. He never gobbled unless I called aggressively to him and never came any closer. I figured he had hens and headed in deeper.

At just over three miles one answered. He gobbled twice but I couldn't figure out where he was. I set up and called but never heard him again. I turned around and started back out.

At about 10:30 one answered from a location where I had killed one several years ago. I set up and called to him. He answered then went silent. I figured that was a good sign and he was on the move. The next time he gobbled he had moved about a hundred yards and was on the opposite side of the game lands road. He must have crossed out too far for me to see him. He then went silent again even though I called to him a couple times. Ok, good he is on the move again. I expect to see him come out to a gas well road intersection in front of me any minute. Fifteen minutes pass before he gobbles again and he seems to be in the same place as last time.

I decide to move up to the intersection and set up where I can see the gas well I expect him to come and strut on. Heck he is already there when I get to the intersection. He is gone, running out the gas well road, as soon as he sees me.

I get back on the bike and start heading out. Stopping to call at the hot spots. Lots of mud on the road so I see gobbler tracks in the mud at several places there hadn't been any on my way in.

At just over half mile from the truck and twenty-five minutes to noon one answers. He is probably two hundred yards away. I set up and start aggressively working him. He answers every time I cut at him but not on soft clucks. I think he closed the distance a little but he was too slow about it. At noon I cut to him to see how close he is. He still had a ways to come so I figured I could pull out with him seeing me. Fifteen minutes later I was back at the truck in the game lands parking lot. While I was putting my gear in the truck one gobbled about a hundred yards out from the parking lot.

I'll head back out there in the morning. With it being Saturday though there will probably be other hunters.

It seems like there are some birds around there but the road was so muddy and rutted up it was very hard to bicycle. I had to walk the bike around some of the deepest water holes and ruts. Be a good place if it stops raining for a few days and things dry out a little.

Dick Bodenhorn

1 - 14 of 14 Posts