The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First and foremost, I offer the most sincere gratitude to our fighting men and women who never made it home. I wish our leaders did a better job of preserving what they sacrificed for.

Tug along with my old man and little brother today. Our initial setup was good with birds roosted less than 150 yards away, but they flew down and headed straight down the hill. Meanwhile, another bird was hollering across the valley, so they went after them while I hung back and took care of some "paperwork". Ten minutes later, the guns went bang. Joe shot a hammer of a bird with a double-beard, and Dad dumped a jake. No stats yet, but i'd guess the longbeard's primary beard to be dang near a foot, with 6" or so on the second beard. I'm pretty sure that one's heading to the stuffer.

Today was my last day to spend in the turkey woods this season. I've had a wonderful season, and today was a wonderful cap to it. I'll take a week or two to wind down and rest, but it won't take long and I'll be looking forward to next season.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
All quiet here. I tried gobbling to see if I could get them started, but nothing happened. Later I heard a hen and watched her feed about 300 yards away.

Tomorrow is the last day, and I'll be out at least for a few hours trying to punch my second tag.

Steve.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
First time in 8 weeks I havent watched the sun come up sitting against a tree. Feels awkward. 11 more months and we get to do it all over. Good luck to those taking it down to the wire.

·
Registered
10,176 Posts
Didn't have a lot of motivation to go out today but with it being my last chance until next year I forced myself out of bed this morning. I got a bird the first week and hardly heard any gobbles since but I figured I might see something cool like a rattler or a bear. Well I sat in the morning without hearing anything and decided to look behind me and low and behold there is a bear 35 yards away ! Never heard him and I can't believe he didn't wind me. He crossed the trail I walked in on downwind and my hunting clothes haven't been washed in a month ! Also saw a couple deer and a cool looking salamander. On the way out I heard a loud gobble about 75 yards away and set up but never heard him again. Think he was saying good bye to me.
All in all a pretty good way to end the season. One of those hunts that I will always remember.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Action packed morning although we never heard a gobble. We were on birds until well past lunchtime, mostly keeping tabs on them visually. We just could never get one in a good kill situation.

One last hurrah tomorrow!

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Took a junior hunter out. Saw a Jake in the field so went to another spot to let him relax. Went to that spot later in the morning and as we were approaching the tree I wanted to sit at he took off running, 20yds away! An experienced hunter woulda possibly had him but when I looked back at her her eyes were as big as softballs! I asked if she saw him she said "no, I wondered why you jumped outta the way saying gobbler gobbler". I was mad at first that she didn't see him, not at her but myself, but was told later by her Dad that she had a blast so that made my day!

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
bigbear said:
First time in 8 weeks I havent watched the sun come up sitting against a tree. Feels awkward. 11 more months and we get to do it all over. Good luck to those taking it down to the wire.
You kill one this year? You're always good for a bird or two every year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts