The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My god boys they were on fire this morning, DARE I SAY THAT???

Only thing was the bird flew down and went the way that they haven't all season. I was set up off of a logging road going down to a point. My gut told me to set up on top and face where they normally roost, but anytime they have been roosted there they went down the hill. But I set up off to the side expecting them to be roosted down on the flat. I set up off the edge of the point and when that bird did his first gobble he about took my hat off. I moved to where they normally fly down and sat down. I did a few tree yelps and that sent him into maniac mode. I was between him and a hen. SCORE!!

Well when he flew down he hit the clearing on the logging road and just gobbled his everloving brains out. I switched to the the very end of the clearing but I could tell he was working up the logging road the other way.

Off the point I go as fast as I could. I could hear him gobbling up the road.

I got cut in front of him and called he gobbled once and I heard a hen fly down. No more gobbles, and it was 6:40. Round 2 tomorrow.

DONT GIVE UP BOYZ!!!

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
Keep after them Mike!

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
https://youtu.be/WeeG7GhSCwM

I am calling so much as he is walking away. I think I should have just dropped everything to get out in front of him instead. Oh well. FINALLY SOME EXCITEMENT!!

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Nothing for me this morning. I got into one of the areas where they roost, but nothing was there. Around 7:30 I saw a hen out feeding in a field about 200 yards away. The season is winding down.

I've hunted 16 days in Warren County, and heard gobbling from the roost only twice. I also hunted the first Friday and Saturday in Somerset County, so I've missed a total of 5 days. Sure glad for the one I tagged on May 10 -- seems like a long time ago now. Got some T-storms coming; maybe that will loosen up their vocal cords.

Steve.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
It was very active again this morning despite a relatively low amount of gobbling for me. If u had a tough year and gave up, I would consider giving it one or two more tries, you may just find that vulnerable lovesick bird you've been after. Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Worked late last nt. So I could go out hunting this morning. Alarm went off and my heart said go but my body said no. Lol

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DrakesOnly said:
It was very active again this morning despite a relatively low amount of gobbling for me. If u had a tough year and gave up, I would consider giving it one or two more tries, you may just find that vulnerable lovesick bird you've been after. Good luck.
#cantstopwontstop

I cant agree with this enough. It was like night and day this morning. Havent heard gobbling like that since march or April. I think that lower hunting pressure is also having a part in this.

·
20,166 Posts
Onnnnne heck of an AM out there today!! Birds were quiet on the roost be we knew they were around so my lucky charm (mike) and I just posted up and waited.....and waited. At 6am we caught a flash to our left as the first bird pitched out of the tree to our shock. We had no clue they were that close or on that side. Quickly another and another pitch out until 5 birds were in the field. We didn't know what they were at first but figured there was a beard in there some place. They were pretty obscured by brush and I wasn't so much as flinching to take a better look. I figured I'd see them when I needed to see them haha. For the next 20 mintues they didn't even move really. Justed stayed 75 yards out of the decoys. No urgency and silent the whole time. Finally Mike made out a beard on at least one bird about the same time that we spotted a hen approaching from the right. That wasn't good and we figured for sure that she'd sweep them away. The other birds weren't 'hot' at all so we were concerned. She fed up to them and I knew it was now or never. I dont like calling when birds are so close and can see the decoys clearly but Mike had just made out 1 more beard in the group so it was time to make some noise as they all started to walk up over the hill. With that I let out several sharp but light clucks and built on the volume a little before finishing with some low volume yelps. Gosh darnit if it didn't work! The birds stopped at first and over the next 5 minutes altered course. The hen was coming and I'm sure that was 80% of the battle right there. Eventually they all disappeared into a small swale in the field about 50 yards out. TORCHURE!!!! We couldnt see then and they weren't making any noise. 10-15 minutes went but with nothing before the hen popped out and and then immediatley disappeared again. 10 minutes later, our rear ends sore as heck from not flinching for about 50 minutes now, I decided to take a big risk and do some very close range clucking again just in case they were waiting to hear something. Thankfully the notes rang out crisp and true and a few minutes later I caught the movement of a red head through the tall field grass. At only 20 yards now I whisper shouted "BIRD!" to Mike and beared down on my barrel slowly. 2 seconds later I again 'yelled' as quietly as possible "THERE'S THE OTHER!!" as the other LB brought up the rear quickly. The slow paced stopped at that point and they both charged the final 10 paces to the decoys and started to demoralize the Jake as best they could. Mike kept asking which one do you got and I kept saying 'the right one' but the birds were spinning around the decoy so fast that as soon as I'd pick a bird he'd switch to Mike's side and so on. That went on for a good minute before they both finally stopped and BOOM-BOOM! both birds were down for the count!

It was a truely epic hunt and one heck of a way to put a wrap on my 2016 season! I didn't hunt quite as hard after a successful PA opener but I still got out a good 15 times this season. Enough to hold me over. I learned more and got better at calling so that's all I can ever ask for in a PA turkey season. Killing birds is the bonus to the effort. Good luck to everyone else over the last 4 days. I hope LB's are everywhere for all the hardy souls still out and about!

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Just awesome! Congrats Trout! Doesn't get any better than that.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I told you they were on the real prowl...I think the season should start about the 7th of May and go to June 7 approx..every year it seems they are looking until now, the first two weeks all we hear is their with hens and we're interrupting the mating that's going on. Could you imagine how many it would save earlier when the woods are wide open.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Heard a few today off in the distance. It got muggy and buggy out pretty quick. I'm going to hang it up for the year. Had a fun season. Hate to see it go. Only 300+ days til next season. Good luck to those still pursuing your birds.

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
Congrats Trout! Funny though how your story supports what we knew already, which is the birds are there. They're just not gobbling.

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
VaPa hunter said:
Congrats Trout! Funny though how your story supports what we knew already, which is the birds are there. They're just not gobbling.
That's what has been driving me nuts the most!! LOL

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Congrats trout!Mike im still trying to fill the second tag....it's been a jinx for the last three seasons...but I'm hitting them hard till it's over!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts