Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gorgeous morning!

Good luck to those still hunting!

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Back at the same spot as the last two mornings. After complete silence yesterday, they were hammering hard again this morning. The bird I set up on initially flew down early and went the other direction, so I ran back across the farm and got as close as I could to one of the other gobbling birds (he's on the neighbor's). I'll be patient here for awhile and see if I can pull him this way.

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
First spot was a flop so I bailed, nothing... nothing. BAM gobble about 200 yards out, worked him to around 100 yards but just flat out ran out of time.

Just stinks that they took my vacation from me, and finally get on the most responsive birds since day 2 of the season and have to bail. LOL I made it to work at exactly 8:00 today.

OH WELL things could be a lot worse, so I am just happy to finally hear one respond to calling. I was beginning to lose hope. LOL

Good luck guys, I think If I had to pick one day after the first week of the season to hunt it would be today. CLear, cool, wind died down, coming off a cold front. BIRDS ARE GOING TO HIT THE DIRT TODAY!!

·
Registered
445 Posts
TurkeyMike said:
First spot was a flop so I bailed, nothing... nothing. BAM gobble about 200 yards out, worked him to around 100 yards but just flat out ran out of time.

Just stinks that they took my vacation from me, and finally get on the most responsive birds since day 2 of the season and have to bail. LOL I made it to work at exactly 8:00 today.

OH WELL things could be a lot worse, so I am just happy to finally hear one respond to calling. I was beginning to lose hope. LOL

Good luck guys, I think If I had to pick one day after the first week of the season to hunt it would be today. CLear, cool, wind died down, coming off a cold front. BIRDS ARE GOING TO HIT THE DIRT TODAY!!

Thats why I dont go before work when I'm dayshift....not enough self control to tell myself its time to leave lol Good luck your definately getting closer each time you go out this year!!

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Nothing off the roost this am but shortly after daybreak I was able to get a hen all hot and bothered, which motivated a gobbler to show his face about 100 yards from me, where he turned and continued on away from me. I was going to make a move but had to head to work. I think I know how to get him next time, hoping to punch tag #2 very soon.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Not a gobble by 845. Moved on to another farm. Nothing in the fields so hopefully they are back in the timber where i'm heading.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Beautiful morning today up in Lawrence County!

No gobbles, though, and I bailed just shy of 9 in order to get to work. I might try 2A next week...

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I shouldn't have bailed on my initial set-up. Sure enough, about an hour after I left it, the bird came back and walked right past where I'd been sitting. I could only watch in frustration from a quarter-mile away.

He was by himself and gobbling, so I decided to take logging roads around the fields and come at him from the back, where I could get to the field edge undetected and hopefully call him into range.

I had circled almost the whole way around and was about 150 yards from the field edge when all of the sudden, I heard putting above me from the trail i'd just vacated. Being in an awkward standing position, I just slowly sat down and waited for them to move off. The putting continued, and before long three jakes materialized above me about 50 yards. For the next hour, they walked in circles and putted the entire time. I initially had no intention of shooting them, but having not heard the longbeard gobble in a few hours and being thoroughly annoyed at these jakes, when one stuck his head up in an opening at 40 yards, well, let's just say the Browning went on autopilot.

I don't have any measuring devices nearby, but I'd guess about 14lbs, 5" beard and 3/8" spurs. After twelve hard days of hunting, I'm more than happy to put my tag on this one.

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Lee is going to ride you Bear. LOL

Congrats on the bird though. After how my season has been going on of those dudes may have bit the dust as well.

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
team reaper said:
TurkeyMike said:

Thats why I dont go before work when I'm dayshift....not enough self control to tell myself its time to leave lol Good luck your definately getting closer each time you go out this year!!

lol

that was the first bird I had responding to calling and actually coming in since the second day of the season.

·
Super Moderator
14,066 Posts
My second bird of the season got a bike ride this morning. He was a tough one. He had at least two hens with him that I watched for at least a half hour before they finally came into range. Then after the gobbler dropped I swear there were three bird that took flight. I don't know if I had missed seeing one of the hens he was with or if there had been two gobblers. They had been in and out a long depression about 50 yards out. At times I couldn't see them at all so it is entirely possible there would have been one or move that I hadn't seen or at least at a time when I could see them all at the same time.

It took over three hours to get them in. I spent more time talking with the hens then the gobbler. He would just gobble every once in a while to let me know where he was in case I wanted to join them. Had it not been for the hens finally coming to check out the other hen talking to them I doubt the gobbler would have made the bike ride.

He had an 8 5/8 beard and spurs that were 7/8 and 15/16.

I am tagged out so I am done now until next Friday when my buddy Tom is back up to try for his second bird.

It has been a fun season though. In fact a highlight today, besides getting the gobbler, was when two deer walked between the turkeys and one of the hens put a run on one of the deer chasing it thirty yards up through the woods.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Congrats RSB!
We had a gobbler talking and called a hen in but he never showed. I know where he's going but it's off limits.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
It took over three hours to get them in
Patience is my biggest weakness in turkey hunting, and costs me birds every year. How do you sit still that long, assuming you were against a tree with no blind?

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
VaPa hunter said:
It took over three hours to get them in
Patience is my biggest weakness in turkey hunting, and costs me birds every year. How do you sit still that long, assuming you were against a tree with no blind?
Yeah, what he said!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts