The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good luck to all heading out today I’m hitting that dreaded public land today. Hopefully the rain holds off for awhile, be safe!

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Didn't set an alarm this morning and woke up at 4:45 anyways. So I'm currently standing at one of my listening spots hearing at least 8 different birds. They started at 5:50 yesterday........ 5:30 this morning. Guess the birds couldn't sleep in this morning, either.....

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
No turkey talk here in my neck of 4B. Foggy and misty....took the day off because the forecast said it was to be sunny at daybreak. So much for that.

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
Same spot I called in the Jake the other day....only field I have access to anymore.

Had a bird north and another south. Yelped back from the field and the south bird fired back. Cutt at him and got set up.

2 hens and a gobbler... likely the jake, cake by at about 75yds. Same direction of travel as last time. He didnt break off this time.

Starting to clear up. You'd imagine every bird around would some dry out t in the fields....and these are the only 2 fields around....

·
Registered
501 Posts
Lots of birds talking this morning. Had a what I believe to be a really good bird at 50 yards but I couldn't seal the deal. Story of my season so far.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
We had a bird fire up about 7:40....he gobbled half decent for about 20 minutes then a shot rang out from the neighbor’s woods.

We have changed locations, hoping another bird fires up now that it’s clearing off a bit.

·
Premium Member
24,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Heard one this morning worked it a bit then the ridge across from me sounded off from someone timbering. It shut up. Sat there awhile nothing came. Pretty darn foggy this morning, the sun is trying to break through. Off to find another one IF I can

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Killed decent one this morning.
Had 2 come in same time different directions.
One at 40 yds and other to 25 yds.
Think bigger one was one I shot.
9.5 in beard. 1 1/8 in spurs
SGL

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
nothing at day break.

Took a LONG walk stopping and calling...nothing.

Heading back to the Jeep...sweat dripping...legs barking........GOBBLE, GOBBLE, GOBBLE above me on the hill.

Set out a hen and jake in the woods, plop down, camo up.......glasses fogged.....

Sat for an hour with the gun on my knee staring at the hill above...waiting...waiting.

All I got was a gobble about every 4-5 minutes...birds wouldn't move.

Decided to shut up and make them find me. Leg cramp...need to let gun down.

The next time I hear them hammer on the hill, I'm putting the gun back up.......Oh, crap....here they come.

Looks like two...first is a jake...pass...second is a jake too....more movement behind them.....gotta be a long beard...

Wait...second one turned...def. a long beard.....

They are on my right side and the gun is down....third bird sees the decoys.......starts angling away.....Putt, Putt.....The one I want to shoot is on a log...head behind a tree...pretty far out and going away.

I chanced the move and got away with it....head comes out from behind the tree....40 + BANG!

3 birds run away.....

Oh well...still a cool day.

·
Super Moderator
14,272 Posts
First morning this season that I didn't hear a gobble. I had to quit by 1000 though due to early afternoon firearms qualification.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Was out today and never heard a peep ! I'll be back at it in the morning even though its suppose to rain ! I'll be sitting in a ground blind where 2 logging roads come together and they use when it rains ! Good luck to all venturing out in the rain !

·
Super Moderator
14,272 Posts
You putting miles on the bike?
Yep, not as many as some years though. Will do longer hunts once my crotch, legs and lungs get built up to it. It takes a little over a week of riding to be able to go long distance without being sore. Averaging a little of six miles a day so far.

Today the game lands road I was on was so muddy and rutted up it was very hard to cover much distance fast. Had to walk the bike around many of the deeper water holes and ruts. More gobblers but definitely hard to get to them. Be good if it ever stops raining for a few days.

Dick Bodenhorn

1 - 18 of 18 Posts