The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heard a group of gobbling birds yesterday morning. One sounded to be a mature bird. Going out to call for my brother out today. I can never get enough of this stuff !!!

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
We surely can't be the only 2 out!?!

I'm back where I was yesterday. Heard 2 gobblers gobble a couple times each a long ways away. Hard to believe what went on here yesterday.

I went down the ridge after then but never gobbled enough for me to pinpoint.

Are they nomads? Lol.

Weighing my options. I have a loop planned that'll cover 2 historically good ridges...but I could hear most of it from my listening spot this morning and apparently forgot my water.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Heard a bunch of birds on the roost and as soon as they hit the ground. Quiet now. Going to wait it out and see if one fires back up later

·
Registered
463 Posts
One gobbling on the roost a few times a long way out. In a blind with my son so today is “sit and wait” mode.

Soft calling every 15 mins. Had one gobble close to us about 30 mins ago. One gobble nothing more. Have not seen a bird yet.

·
Registered
779 Posts
All quiet for me today. My son is 400 yds away and had birds gobbling since first light. Can not believe he has not killed one yet and the fact that I can not hear them

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The birds from yesterday vanished today. We picked up and moved a ridge over. Both brother and I had obligations that only gave us til 8:00 to hunt. We got in along a log in a fencerow between 2 fields and I called a bit. Hit the boxcall around 7:25 and a gobble right behind us nearly brought us out of our britches !! Three jake were in the little field right behind us. We waited them out to circle us...……... which they did. At 7:35 bro' (who is 58) took his very first Eastern spring bird.

Super, SUPER cool morning !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Fantastic morning! Beautiful weather and the birds were gobbling like it was late April!
I had an empty, smoking hull in my hand by 5:49am.......another pig bird got a free truck ride.

21.6 pounds
9 3/4" beard
1 3/16" spurs

·
Registered
326 Posts
We caught up with a good one around 10:15. So proud of my wife. She is very much pregnant and has been uncomfortable trying to sit. Luckily we didn’t have to wait long on this one. Heard him gobble in the field. Set up the decoys and my brother in law backed up behind us and started calling. This guy cam running in with a hen. I have never shot a bird with 2 beards let alone 4. She showed me up big time. 21.5 inches of beard total between them all

Attachments

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Our first sit of the day was a bust, so we decided to head for another location. As we were walking in, we saw a lone strutter in the corner of a nearby field, so we snuck into position about 100 yards above him and set up. Long story short, he finally came in to my soft calling, but came in the thick stuff directly behind us, and my shooter just couldn't put enough pieces together to get a clean shot. We didn't bust him, and he was still gobbling good as he went up over the hill, so we may try to get back on him this afternoon. He has a very distinct gobble, and I'm fairly certain it was the same bird that was roosted nearby on Thursday morning. Hopefully we'll catch up with him.

·
Registered
463 Posts
No bird today, but another good day in the woods with my kid. We worked a bird at the first spot and managed to pull his hen to us. She came within 5’ of our blind but he stayed well out of range.

Went to another property around 9:30 and covered A LOT of ground. Found one bird that would answer. Worked him just inside 50 yards and he hung up (think he saw us, since we were blindness at location #2) Probably shootable, but I wanted him closer for my 10yo and it just didn’t pan out.

4th time out this season. Every time we’ve managed to get at least one bird talking, and every time we’ve had at least one gobbler at 50yds or closer (9 longbeards). I’m finally starting to be able to not screw up every turkey that answers. My best season to date.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Had 3 going at around 11. Two jakes above me and what sounded like a mature gobbler below that I set up on. No luck on the gobbler. Snuck up on the 2 jakes on the way out. Never heard any on the roost.

·
Banned
1,186 Posts
One of those morning where you couldn't make up your mind which one to go after! Birds were really going at it til about 8:00.
Of course we didn't pick the right one ! He gobbled but just wouldn't move. Did hear some hens so he had no reason to move.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Last day of the season here in my state. I heard noting on the roost, but finally got one to gobble at 630. I set up and he never gobbled again. I gave him a long sit before I moved on. I covered some ground before retuning back to the area I heard that bird. I was walking quietly a long a logging road where they had done a lot of select cutting 4 years ago. It's unbelievably thick. As I'm walking, I happen to look to the left and there's a full fan at 30 yards up in some thick stuff. I froze. Gun was slung across my back. He turned and started to walk but wasn't spooked. Game on.

I quickly got down and jumped about 20 yards away in the direction he was walking and set up standing up behind a tree with tons of cover. It was so unbelievably thick in there with the full foliage I would have been tough sitting down to see. I got the gun up and gave a call and he hammered right back less than 30 yards away. It seemed like he wasn't budging and it was so frustrating because he was in range, minus not being able to see him.

All of a sudden he went quiet and I just stood there waiting. I called...nothing. Just then I happened to peak around the only blind spot in front of the tree I was standing behind and there he is, at less than 15 yards. The minute he saw me he started running, then soared away into the valley. I had a clear wing shot at him at less than 20 yards but I didn't want to wound him. Talk about heartbreaking...…..I covered 7.5 miles total after that.

I'm not a big fan of hunting the evenings but I'm going to give it a go in that same area this evening being the last day.

·
Super Moderator
14,272 Posts
Finally.

At about a mile and half on the bike I thought I heard one way off but wasn't sure. Went around the hill, on the road, and stopped to listen and call again. Sure enough that was a gobble way out there. I thought I knew where he was out on a point where I had killed one several years ago. I ditched the bike and hiked about a half mile out through the buckthorn to the point where it is more open woods.

I got there, set up and started calling. No answers. Fifteen minutes later I heard one, but across the valley on the next ridge over. That was undoubtedly the one I heard in first place but with my hearing it is often hard to figure out where they are. Oh well, hike back to the bike and head toward the next ridge. About three quarters mile on the bike, stopping to listen periodically, I thought I heard him on the back side of the little hill. I head back a side road. Yep, no question about it he is back there three or four hundred yards and gobbling pretty good. I head toward him, thank goodness for all the foliage.

I got to within about two hundred yards where it got kind of open and set up with a decoy out in front of me. I called and he answered with pretty frequent gobbling. I would answer him about every ten times he gobbled but he didn't seem to be getting any closer. Then a second gobbler answered from off to my right. Ok, this could get interesting if they start competing to see who is going to get to the hen first.

About five minutes later the one from my right side is ten yards in front of me looking the decoy over. A doggone Jake with about a four inch beard. He gets a free pass. After checking the decoy out he heads toward the other gobbler. Ok, that might work in my favor. If the other gobbler sees him he might think it is a hen and come closer or just feel more secure that another turkey came through there and didn't get in trouble.

It worked, within another ten minutes the one doing all the gobbling is within about seventy yards and I am getting some glimpses of him. But, is it another Jake or a long beard. Finally he is in to about forty yards and crossing a little opening but now there are two turkeys to keep track of. Are they both Jakes? if one is a long beard which one. Finally the closest one goes into strut. He has a full fan, but I still can't see his beard. None the less at the first opportunity I get the gun up, safety off with my finger along the receiver. Waiting to see the beard. There it is and it is a good one. Boom and down he goes.

Never weighed him but I would guess about 18 pounds. Had a 10 inch beard and one inch spurs.

Now to see if I can find a second one over the next two weeks.

Dick Bodenhorn

Attachments

·
Registered
675 Posts
My son had a good hunt today killed a double beard 9 inch 6 inch 19lb 1'1/16 inch spurs. Took him at 11:38am took 2hrs and 4 setups to seal the deal. Been a tough season in my neck of the woods alot of birds but won t work to the gun.Soft purrs and clucks brought him to the gun!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts