The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who else is hunting in the rain today? Today will be my last day of the season to hunt. I gotta go back to work tomorrow and won't be home agian until June. Good luck!

·
Registered
691 Posts
alarm went off, thought i heard rain. Checked the radar on my phone, very green radar.... figured we would go another day.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Alarm went off at 4 but i decided to head to work and get caught up. Do a little scouting on the way to work after i have my coffee. Boy! It felt good getting a couple extra hours if sleep.

Good luck

·
Registered
110 Posts
btm137 said:
alarm went off, thought i heard rain. Checked the radar on my phone, very green radar.... figured we would go another day.
Haha, same here. I felt bad for it, I saw a nice longbeard strutting in a field from the road last night with three hens. They were working up towards a corner where I'm guessing they'd have roosted, and it wasn't all that big of a woodlot. Oh well. I needed to catch up with a bit of sleep anyways. This is only the second morning I've missed so far.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I went out. No rain up here in Mckean but didn't hear a single bird. Yesterday it was lights out in that spot. They gobbled at everything.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I was out there again before school where I missed yesterday because there were 6 or 7 different birds gobbling in the area but today there was not a peep.

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
btm137 said:
I did the same. But three years ago to the day I shot my first bird

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
No rain in 3C. A few gobbles on the roost, then silence, then it broke wide open for about an hour. At least four different birds gobbled well over a hundred times between 7-8. I wasn't quite where I needed to be and couldn't pull the one through the treeline into my field. I screwed up, of course... got impatient and tried to reposition once he got further away and wound up bumping him. Disgusted, I just gathered my stuff and left, but as I got back to the truck he was already back out into the field so I guess I didn't booger him that badly. I was stuck at the truck and couldn't go anywhere without him seeing me, so I decided to just leave and go elsewhere. I'm not sure what the rest of today will bring, but I'm pretty sure I have a good game plan for tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
Updated my phone yesterday, it nuked my alarms. I was exhausted to begin with but still kinda jacked when I woke up to sunshine and birds chirping at 700.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
No rain up here in Warren County, but a bad turn of events. This is only he second day I've heard gobblers sound off from the roost. I was about 300 yards from them -- one was exactly where I was standing when I heard them Monday, and I was where I wished I had been sitting when they gobbled Monday. I could actually see one about 300 yards away skylined against the brightening sky. The other one was up the treeline about 200 yards from him.

There was no way to go to them. In fact, I had been within 100 yards of each of them when I walked in when the night sky was still pitch black before 5:00 AM. They started gobbling at about 5:30, and I saw the one fly down at about 5:50, so I began calling. Even though they were a long ways away, they both seemed to be answering me, so settled in figuring I'd have a chance where I was. Within about 10 minutes they went quiet. Hard to know, maybe they were coming. Or maybe a hen showed up. All was quiet and I stayed until 8:45 before heading out because I have some things to do today.

In case they were still in the treeline where they had been gobbling from I decided to walk a route I almost never take in order to keep from disturbing them. My truck was at the upper end of that treeline.

So I headed out, walking inside the treeline on the opposite end of the field where the gobblers had been roosting. Then I cut across the field to get to my truck.

Fifty yards from my truck, there they were. Three white heads acting confused when I walked up on them. They ran inside the trees, and I felt lucky that they didn't fly, especially across the road.

After they disappeared into the woods I started walking toward my truck, disgusted that the only place they could be where I could not avoid bumping them turned out to be exactly where they were. Then, one walked back out of the woods, went by my truck at about 5 feet, and started running down the farm lane. Then here came another in its tracks. Both went airborne, and flew across the road.

If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all. The good news, if there is any, is that the third gobbler might not have flown. Maybe he'll be alone tomorrow. I dunno, but I'll be there.

Steve.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rain all morning here. Funny how yesterday I heard 6 diffrent birds and everything was quiet today. Saw 2 hens feeding that's it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Decided not to go out today. Unfortunately around 9 am there is a gobbler with 2 hens in my backyard. I could of slipped out the front door and probably got close enough to shoot him but that's not my style. I stayed in and hope that by not bumping him he will be around in the morning.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Maybe you should use your truck as a decoy next time...!!! LOL
I'm heading up to the woods tomorrow with hopes of gettin' into some talkative Longbeards with the nice forecast.
Around 5 years ago I parked my vehicle at a closed gated trail and walked in the dark some 400 yards to a tree and sat and listened for some 2 hours or so with a few sporadic yelps tossed in. Not hearing a sound, I made my way back to my vehicle and saw, not even 20 feet away, a heavily scraped area continuing past my vehicle for some 40 yards. It had to be made less than 1 1/2 hours earlier as it was not there when I left my vehicle some 2 plus hours before. Just yesterday a friend mentioned a hunt he was on a few years back with another fella and the guys young daughter. The daughter was tired and chose to stay in the truck while the 2 guys set out up the powerline to see if they could locate any birds. Returning with no luck an hour later, the girl related how there had been 3 Longbeards strutting around the truck for some 20 minutes while they were gone.
A lot has to be said for being in the right place at the right time. Obviously, the more time you put yourself in the batters box, the more chances you'll have to hit a home run. No one really wants to tag out in the first hour of the first day anyway...do they ? Ends the hunt and takes away from the enjoyment and pursuit of Tom Turkey in Penns Woods.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Your post reminds me of a bird a few years ago. I was walking back to the truck late one morning and had a jake and a 2yr old bird no more than 20yrds from the truck. Ended up getting that bird later in the day.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Chased around a bachelor group of four longbeards all afternoon. I got in front of them twice, only to have them pull a 90 and feed away from me. No response to any calling. Unfortunately, there was private ground involved, so I couldn't get where I needed to be. I'm still not too keen on the whole afternoon hunting thing, but I had fun trying. Back at it in the morning.

·
Registered
209 Posts
fall gobbler said:
Hunting with my son this morning on public ground. Struck a bird about 8:00 and by 8:25 he had his tag on a good two YO.
Congratulations! How do you know he was 2 years old?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Kinda wore myself out hunting first two weeks. Then work and home called me back to reality. But I did squeeze in an afternoon hunt with my father in law today. About 3:15 we went to our second stop. Way back on private property but I can drive back. Opened truck door stepped out and called and one gobbled close. My fil is very immobile. Got him to a tree and less than ten minutes later here comes a longbeard over the stonewall into the field right towards my truck which still has both doors open. Unfortunately he missed and I think it was a little too far. I swore I heard the bird gobble at the shot. So a few minutes later he answers me again. This bird gobbled from about 3:15 until 7:15. I had the safety off three times and saw his redhead once. Everything I did got an answer. Cluck,cutt,yelp,silence anything. We moved about 4 times and again my partner doesn't move much. Just before we left we were back at the wall where we started and he was hammering. I can't guess how many gobbles we heard, hundreds. And when we got in my truck with the doors still open, I shut my truck door and he gobbled again. Very entertaining but just couldn't get him to cover those last 50 yards. I wish I had an arial view and could see how close he was and how often. I'm guessing inside 70 yards three or four times.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts