The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heading out hunting for the first time in 8 days to hunt with my uncle. He came back from Ohio to hunt here 2 days. I'm hoping the Turkey gods are good to us. Good luck and be safe.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I've been hearing good gobbling all season. I had a guy shoot one about 100yds in front of me this morning. I heard a couple pellets land below me. That made me jump a bit!

·
Super Moderator
12,827 Posts
Probably the best morning of the season for me even though the weather wasn't great.

Actually had great gobbling on the roost which I haven't heard the last 2 seasons.

They were all a long ways off....but I knew I had 15-20 minutes to get close. I made a run for it.

Long story short...I knew 1 was closer than the rest but I didn't hear him during my morning Sprint. I stopped to listen and he was 30yds away on a limb lol.

Still had several gobbling. Started working them and had a good feeling they were going to charge right in. Another sudden down pour and silence.

Long story short, after a long wet miserable sit I gave in. I knew the other trail wasnt far. 30-40yds and that was where the last gobble was. I figured he saw me or didn't see the hen and he left...I couldn't see the trail...when I setup the closet hottest bird was 100yds below me and 100yds from the trail (it angles)

I knew better... should have been able to shoot the trail....

I knew better...I should have sat tight.

Yep...I get to the trail and stand there. I look left (down the hill) and there's 3 gobblers standing there looking at me 35yds away lol. They didn't spook bad...looked at me a few seconds and walked into the woods.... basically where I was setup lol.

Been so long since I've had actual action my mind was in rookie mode....aside from jakes, those are the first birds I've actually worked the last 2 years.

I have 8 more days of the season off. Hopefully this morning is a sign of things to come and the hunting gets good here.

I'm not really confident the flintlock will fire because the one downpour caught me off guard and I know it got wet so I'm back home....dry everything out and reload the flintlock for tomorrow.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Probably the best morning of the season for me even though the weather wasn't great.

Actually had great gobbling on the roost which I haven't heard the last 2 seasons.

They were all a long ways off....but I knew I had 15-20 minutes to get close. I made a run for it.

Long story short...I knew 1 was closer than the rest but I didn't hear him during my morning Sprint. I stopped to listen and he was 30yds away on a limb lol.

Still had several gobbling. Started working them and had a good feeling they were going to charge right in. Another sudden down pour and silence.

Long story short, after a long wet miserable sit I gave in. I knew the other trail wasnt far. 30-40yds and that was where the last gobble was. I figured he saw me or didn't see the hen and he left...I couldn't see the trail...when I setup the closet hottest bird was 100yds below me and 100yds from the trail (it angles)

I knew better... should have been able to shoot the trail....

I knew better...I should have sat tight.

Yep...I get to the trail and stand there. I look left (down the hill) and there's 3 gobblers standing there looking at me 35yds away lol. They didn't spook bad...looked at me a few seconds and walked into the woods.... basically where I was setup lol.

Been so long since I've had actual action my mind was in rookie mode....aside from jakes, those are the first birds I've actually worked the last 2 years.

I have 8 more days of the season off. Hopefully this morning is a sign of things to come and the hunting gets good here.

I'm not really confident the flintlock will fire because the one downpour caught me off guard and I know it got wet so I'm back home....dry everything out and reload the flintlock for tomorrow.

Sounds promising, good luck!

Better then my chances...…..Wife and I are in Durham, N.C. for my nieces wedding.:crying:

I'll be back out next week trying for #2.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Since not hearing a single gobble since the first day i decided when i came home this morning to listen to gobblers on youtube so i dont forget what they sound like lol. Been very frustrating since the opener.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
mauser06 -

Been there, buddy. Patience is the first thing to go after a long layoff from action, yet the most critical part of working birds. I’ve made that same decision to stand or move a few minutes too soon and watched the very birds that work in takeoff due to my lack of patience. The good news: you tend to fix the issue pretty quickly. :grin2:

·
Registered
204 Posts
I can share in the misery somewhat. I have had gobbling birds everyday this season but between non-committing gobblers and jakes that sound like gobblers I just can't seem to get #2 on the ground. Chased a group of gobblers yesterday in circles for 2 hours. I then decided I had enough of those birds after hunting them the last (4) days and not killing one so went to spot B where I worked some Tuesday. I found those birds on the roost got setup everything worked out great...what do you know more jakes. Moved on some other birds I heard and chased them for over a mile before I had to back out due to work obligations.

I am sure no where as frustrating as others as at least I am in it (i.e. That was my last year season was hearing no birds) but still I have not had this hard of a time in a while of pulling a gobbler off of a group.

(i.e. I think I have only missed 6 days so far but I only hunt until 7:00 during the week)

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
I can share in the misery somewhat. I have had gobbling birds everyday this season but between non-committing gobblers and jakes that sound like gobblers I just can't seem to get #2 on the ground. Chased a group of gobblers yesterday in circles for 2 hours. I then decided I had enough of those birds after hunting them the last (4) days and not killing one so went to spot B where I worked some Tuesday. I found those birds on the roost got setup everything worked out great...what do you know more jakes. Moved on some other birds I heard and chased them for over a mile before I had to back out due to work obligations.

I am sure no where as frustrating as others as at least I am in it (i.e. That was my last year season was hearing no birds) but still I have not had this hard of a time in a while of pulling a gobbler off of a group.

(i.e. I think I have only missed 6 days so far but I only hunt until 7:00 during the week)
At least your hearing birds man. Got bird #1 on the opener and haven't heard one since lol. I have been out all but 2 days of the season and covered a lot of ground.

·
Super Moderator
12,827 Posts
Six gun, you're right....after a season and a half of pretty poor turkey hunts, I made some rookie mistakes...just because lol. Once I learned to sit tight I started killing more birds....if it was just 1 event I think I would have sat...but there was a series of things that all pointed to it being over lol.

On a better note...I'm fairly confident the gun wouldn't have fired after that down pour. About the bottom 1/3rd of the powder was a nasty mess.

Gun was dried out, unloaded, cleaned and reloaded.

Met dad for a little fishing and almost clobbered a big ole long beard. Maybe things are turning around and the hens are sitting and birds are getting lonely

Not sure what to do tomorrow. Those birds aren't really deep on a gamelands. And depending on their roosts, sitting on the trail with a hen decoy on it would have been ideal this morning.

I'd like to "guard" them and hunt them myself. But also don't wanna be in the middle of a circus. But, it's getting late in the season and it's been pretty lousy...maybe the masses wont be out....but...I could head further and hunt a bigger piece where I know I can stretch the legs and get away from the crowd if needed. But then I will never know what those birds did at that spot lol....

Think I have to go hunt them and hope they are smoking hot again tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Six gun, you're right....after a season and a half of pretty poor turkey hunts, I made some rookie mistakes...just because lol. Once I learned to sit tight I started killing more birds....if it was just 1 event I think I would have sat...but there was a series of things that all pointed to it being over lol....

On a better note...I'm fairly confident the gun wouldn't have fired after that down pour. About the bottom 1/3rd of the powder was a nasty mess.

...Gun was dried out, unloaded, cleaned and reloaded.

...Think I have to go hunt them and hope they are smoking hot again tomorrow.
Sitting tight is so, so hard to do when you have yourself convinced that something went wrong and you know how that goes. Due to pressure or whatever, they just decide to go extra slow and quiet that last little distance and you just presume (due to extended time or other circumstances like you described) that they spooked or got bored...only to stand up and see them.

This last hunt in Nebraska that I posted about on Wednesday is a perfect example. Those birds felt so close, but took FOREVER (in my mind, anyway - in reality, about 10 minutes) to make up the last 65 yards or so from their last gobble. I just refused to stand up and thank goodness I didn't. They couldn't have been much slower or quitter in their approach. It took telling myself "I will sit here until dark" to keep me from giving in and standing.

As for the flinter, I hereby follow the advice that someone over in the traditional black powder posted in that if there is ANY rain forecasted, I just leave the danged thing at home. Every time even a light drizzle hits and I swear I've done everything possible to protect the charge, I get home find that a speck of water somehow found its way into the flash pan. Glad you got yours dried out and ready for a new day.

Good luck out there on your next go. I know it means nothing in particular because of the geography, but the birds are raging hot over here in the Midwest, too, right now. I think you're window to get it done is just now opening wide.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Same old story for me. I just can't get a bird to the gun. I ran around a mountain today trying to reposition on a bird 5 separate times.

·
Super Moderator
12,827 Posts
I used to use rain as an excuse to carry a modern gun. I had an extra large lock cover made this season just to nix that.

Killed my first flintlock gobbler a couple years ago in a steady spring rain. He was actually shaking water off as he came in. First tag was filled with the 870 "because it was supposed to rain".

I'm just addicted to flint and steel and black powder. I know the risks...

First spring bird that same season I tried to shoot.....the gun clicked probably over a dozen times and never did go off. I fired it a couple times the evening prior and she went off great. Cleaned it..flint looked great. Long story short. The Flint oddly squared off on the edge and wouldn't make Sparks. I knapped it after that bird busted me and went out to the field and she went off like a champ lol.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I'm neurotic about changing flints, assuredly to the point of waste. When it's a hunt, I pull whatever flint was on there if it's been shot beyond one or two test strikes. Inspect it for damage and don't discharge it until it's time to shoot, the charge has been compromised by water, or the season is over.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
I went out this morning just scouting for a buddy that had to work and the first place I went to I heard a gobbler gobble a couple times and he worked to the dirt road and a hen appeared ! He strutted for her for a while then they both disappeared into the woods ! He was a big bird with a thick 10" beard hanging off him ! I didn't see or pass another vehicle on the mountain ! I'll be back out there tomorrow morning as he can't hunt until Monday or Tuesday !

1 - 19 of 19 Posts