The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Rain here, but it should be ending soon. This is one of the last few mornings I’ll be able to hunt ‘em off the roost due to work. Sneaking in close and seeing what I can make happen. I’m falling into the trap of hunting one specific bird. Let the chess match begin!

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
Good luck!

Pulled in a new spot 5 minutes ago. Been a couple groups in a field pretty much daily. Talked to my buddy and was surprised to hear one of his buddies killed one in the field. Said there was 8 longbeards in there.

I've never stepped foot in these woods and of course both my lights are in my fishing pack. Socked in fog pretty heavy. Waiting for enough light to sneak to the top of the ridge above the field.

We'll see what happens.

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
Got to the top of the ridge above the field. One pathetic sounding gobble at 547 150yds down the ridge. Setup and nothing. Around 600 one thunderous gobble down below.

Been waiting for the fog to burn off but it's holding strong.

Been calling sporadically hoping to gain ones interest.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Saw lightning and moonlight this morning. No wind and gobblers opened up at 5:45 all over. Had one in a tree about 100 yards. Called and he answered continuously then that familiar hen yelps to his tree fly down and they went the other way. Same story all season so far. On a good note no coyotes showed up that have been frequently this season. Heard of 2 more shot yesterday near by. That makes a total of 13 shot this season in my area of Tioga.

·
Banned
1,186 Posts
Heard a bird out here yesterday morning gobbling at crows on my way into work. Boss came in later said they were in his field when he came in. Figured they'd talk this morning. I figured wrong.

·
Super Moderator
14,272 Posts
Almost eight miles on the bike this morning and never heard a thing. Of course they have to be darn close for me to hear them with the leaves out.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I've only managed to get out for a few crappy-weather days so far this year, so I was happy to see a decent weather report for today. I was hunting with an older friend of mine, and had it in my head that if we had a chance to double up, jake or not, I was going to take a shot. It almost worked out.... after fooling with a group of birds most of the morning, I finally got a longbeard and a pair of jakes right in front of us. Unfortunately, my friend missed the longbeard, but I was fortunate to make a clean shot on one of the jakes to fill my first tag of the season. Not the result we were hoping for, but it was a very exciting hunt nonetheless. We have a couple more days to get after them, so hopefully I can get another bird or two in front of my friend before we have to head back home.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts