The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Y'all are slackin'! It's just a little rain....

My brother and I decided to explore some public ground in Snyder County. Only found people so far, but the day is young. Drizzling and foggy, so not ideal conditions, but it should be a fun day regardless.

Good luck, fellas!

·
Super Moderator
12,910 Posts
I'm out here!

Slept in slightly but I've done worse.

In a spot where I worked a couple birds for a few hours the first week.

Not a peep thus far. And I don't have much options in the neighborhood so I may be done if one doesn't fire up.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Finishing up a 24 hour shift at 7am. Gonna run home and pick up the wife and kids, then it’s off to my mother in laws. Hope to be hunting by 8, wife’s still on the gun for now.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Birds are absolutely hammering this morning. I got sat up on one about 100yds from the roost and hit him with some soft tree yelps and clucks.

Then, I heard some hen talk about 35 yards in front of me just over the knuckle of the hill. My gut told me that it was another hunter, so I just sat still and listened. The gobbler kept hammering and sounded like it was within gun range of the hen talk, but no shooting. I was committed at that point to just sit and listen.
I sat there and eventually the woods went silent. Didn't see or actually hear a person 100%, but I went with my gut and after it got quiet I slipped out.

If it was any other day of the week, I would have played, but it's Saturday so I just assumed it was a hunter. Sounded like the calls were coming from one spot, so I'd rather err on the side of caution and just back out.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Sun finally came out,I thought that might fire one up but not today,it was tough getting up today six days in the row plus last week in Ohio, two hunter's came in on me yelled and they turned around, haven't made a call yet but they were hammering away bad decision to hunt this spot on saturday but its right out the door.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
We had 3 cranked in 4e off the roost. 2 hit the ground and went silent.
3rd kept gobbling and headed to the field we were not in. Headed to that field and kept him gobbling until I could glass him. Big bird, all alone just strutting and gobbling in a big lonely field. Worked around the far end and called and had him coming quickly……..right into a neighbors front yard where hung up and went silent. He’s going to be a bugger to kill.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hunted the mountain in Fayette county this morning. I knew where a bird had roosted yesterday. He was in that spot his morning, but never gobbled. He pitched down 70 yards from me at 5:45. He stood there for 10 minutes looking around. I called quietly, he then walked right to me. About 17 lbs, 9" beard, 1 inch spurs. First one with a 28 gauge.

·
Registered
5,932 Posts
Another day of getting screwed up. Just comical at this point…

Roosted a longbeard, 3 jakes and one hen last night. Snuck in extra early this morning and got set up well before first light. Just as the gray light is lightening the woods a bit, someone rips an owl hooter right over my left shoulder. Nothing. I strained to make out where he was but couldn’t. Hoping that he’d move on after not hearing anything, I waited but he ripped it again. Still nothing. I knew the birds were close and hoped that if he moved on that he went away from them. Didn’t hear him anymore so I settled in and heard a distant gobble once in a tree and that was it. Fast forward a bit and I see something down through the woods that looked like a turkey standing there. “Naw, that’s a stump” and I moved my eyes to the right and when I came back, it was gone. Suddenly there were turkeys moving in front of me and I could see the longbeard chasing the jakes around and the hen headed right for me. I gave some soft yelps and purrs and she closed right in. She passed me at less than 10 yards and then I saw the jakes and the big boy in tow about 70 yards out. The jakes were quite a bit in front of the tom and they followed the same path as the hen. As the longbeard got to about 50, all of a sudden this guy took his box call to task and just started hammering on it. The tom got all spooky and ended up trotting back down the woods where he came from and I never saw or heard from him again. And after he took off, I see this guy come walking in from my left, right to the spot where the gobbler was, turn and look at me for about 15 seconds and then put his arms out in a “how do you like that” gesture and then walked away…

·
Registered
692 Posts
We heard 2 in 4B this morning. One gobbled twice in the tree and nothing after that. The other one started while we were heading to the first gobbles and had us that we couldn’t get up on top of the ridge with them, so we tried setting up on the bench below him knowing they work through there. He played for a little bit and then just floated off. Lots of scratching on top when I was there yesterday, so guessing with some hens. Glad to hear these 2 in there after it was quiet yesterday. We’ll be back in there after them.
On a good note, I lost the striker that I run on my Enticer Aluminum pot. I wasn’t thinking that we would find it since it’s green and brown laminate with 2 thin layers that are red. My daughter found it on our back trail on the way back across the top. 👍

Congratulations to those that scored today!!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts