The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No one braving the rain this morning? I just pulled the rain gear on, starting my hike in. Good luck fellas, stay dry and post some pics of those ugly wet gobblers!

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
My buddy is up from NC to hunt and it looks like rain will end soon here. We will be out no matter the weather.

·
Registered
110 Posts
My son and I are in a popup blind in the edge of a small field in the woods. Last two times I was here, there was a gobbler right behind us but he moved off. I think hens are leading him away from my calls, so no calls, decoys or anything today. They'll want to come out in the field anyways.

·
Registered
19,962 Posts
Doing the same, it is raining but the pop-up ik keeping me dry. Won't need rain gear till the trip out.
Hens have come into the field 3 times now since 6 AM but everything is quiet.
They are calling for heavy rains to move in around 9 so here's hoping things puck up before the rain gets heavy.

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
Slept in today

·
Registered
19,962 Posts
Well thanks to the fog that just dropped in that 125 acre field I was watching I can only see about 1000 Sq feet of.

Maybe the heavy rain will knock it down

·
20,128 Posts
Got out a little later then I would have liked to today but I still didn't hear or see anything anyhow. Been a pretty quiet last couple of days around these parts.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Heard more gobbling today than any other day of the season, in the pouring rain. Almost closed the deal twice, but couldn't get a clear shot on one, and couldn't verify the beard on another. Turkey vest and all my calls are drenched, the benelli needs a good cleaning, and I loved every second of it. Back after them tomorrow!

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
Another late night last night, a rainy forecast and yesterday's miss weighing on my mind (I literally had a dream about missing turkeys!), all caused me to sleep in today as well. I'll be back at it soon (maybe tomorrow but I have my kid this weekend so I've got to watch the weather otherwise Monday).

·
Registered
110 Posts
There were a few gobblers going nuts around the field we were watching but they never showed; we had to leave at 8am. We did have a hen come through right in front of us. Going to our lease tonight to hunt in the morning!

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
Called in what looked like a couple two year olds, they were right at 40 yards. My buddy with the shotgun decided not to shoot one. We worked another bird later and could not get him in.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I actually worked a full day today.. That makes 2 days this week. Back at it with Gage tomorrow. Melissa wants to go as well. Hope we can get one person tagged out soon.

·
Super Moderator
13,918 Posts
Stayed in the truck through the down pouring rain this morning. It quit raining at 0740 so I unloaded the bike and headed in. A half mile in the back tire on my bike went flat so I pushed it back to the truck and got my spare bike out of the truck and headed in again. This was the second morning this season, yesterday and today, that I never heard a gobble. I did spend some time chatting with a hen though at one spot I stopped to call from.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Super Moderator
13,918 Posts
I just got lucky with having the spare with me. I had my newest bike in the truck to take to the bike shop for a new derailer. It is skipping from one gear to the other when in the lowest gear so it needs fixed but still worked today in a pinch. The only problem is my spare, which I was riding today, doesn't have the heavy duty, green slime filled tubes and I had a flat. I used to have a flat about once a week until I installed the heavy duty tubes on my regular use bike. Once I started using the heavy duty tubes though I haven't had a flat in four year. I will be buying and putting the slime filled tubes in my spare bike's tires within the next few days.

Thankfully today I was only a half mile in when it went flat. Usually when I had a flat in the past I was three, four or even five or more miles from the truck.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Heavy rain when the alarm went off here so it was a recharge of the battery day for me.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts