The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Adam said:
I freaking missed. Ugggg! First shot in over 2 years on a strutter that I called in with 6 hens and 2 other toms and I make a rookie mistake by rushing the shot and not making him break out of strut!! I'm sick to my stomach! 30 yards was close enough but they were coming closer too. This is gonna hurt for a while. He was a beast!
Happens to every turkey hunter. And if they say otherwise, they're lying, or just not hunting enough.

I'm good for one every year. I used mine on a slam dunk shot on my 3rd bird Monday. Red dot setting was too bright and he came in super early. Could barely see him. Hang in there.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Put a group of 4 to bed last night, and the hen was up the hollow. Didn't have much time this morning but we went. The hen got in between us and the gobbers. Game over after that.

Went to work for a meeting and left at 930, was back in the spot at 10am... Notta..

·
Registered
823 Posts
Decided last night to take a 'sick' day off work today. Sneaked into my spot from the bottom this time (I usually come in from the top), and took great care to not even snap a twig, in case any were roosted nearby. Got settled, and then at 5:33 I heard a CLOSE gobble. Then another. He was roosted just up the hill about 45 yards. Same tree that he was in this past Saturday when he gave me the slip.

He flew down at 5:55, and I decided that since he did not come to my calls on Saturday, I would remain silent and take a chance that he would just feed his way down to me. No dice. He went quiet and disappeared.

Decided to switch spots by moving to my left, and climbing to the top of the hill. Crested the hill and see 4 strutters and a hen out about 120 yards in the clearing.

I stayed just inside the wood line and immediately sat down against a tree and let out a couple of soft yelps. They gobbled in unison, turned and slowly started making their way toward me.

Then I see the hen start running down the trail, and she disappears behind a mound in front of me, and then reappears on the left of the mound. I see she is chasing two ducks away. (never saw that before lol). The biggest gobbler was slowly following about 25 yards behind her, and I can see him fan on the right side of the mound just before he disappears behind it. The hen turns and passes by me about 15 yards to my left and stops just before going into the wood line, yelping, and my heart started really pumping because I just knew the big boy and the rest would most likely follow the same path.

About a minute later, he appears from behind the mound to my left, fans and then lets out a loud gobble, and I can now clearly see his long beard. I am afraid to move because I can still see the hen on my left, and she is yelping, and I don't want her to bust me.

As if scripted, the hen disappears into the woods, and the gobbler turns his fanned butt towards me, giving me the opportunity to move my gun a little bit to get on him.

He is at about 15 yards, I draw a bead and wait for him to turn and break strut, and I fire. He drops in his tracks without a single flop.

Tag filled. 10" beard and 1-1/4" spurs. Great day!

Congrats to everyone else who scored.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Uncle Johnny said:
Decided last night to take a 'sick' day off work today. Sneaked into my spot from the bottom this time (I usually come in from the top), and took great care to not even snap a twig, in case any were roosted nearby. Got settled, and then at 5:33 I heard a CLOSE gobble. Then another. He was roosted just up the hill about 45 yards. Same tree that he was in this past Saturday when he gave me the slip.

He flew down at 5:55, and I decided that since he did not come to my calls on Saturday, I would remain silent and take a chance that he would just feed his way down to me. No dice. He went quiet and disappeared.

Decided to switch spots by moving to my left, and climbing to the top of the hill. Crested the hill and see 4 strutters and a hen out about 120 yards in the clearing.

I stayed just inside the wood line and immediately sat down against a tree and let out a couple of soft yelps. They gobbled in unison, turned and slowly started making their way toward me.

Then I see the hen start running down the trail, and she disappears behind a mound in front of me, and then reappears on the left of the mound. I see she is chasing two ducks away. (never saw that before lol). The biggest gobbler was slowly following about 25 yards behind her, and I can see him fan on the right side of the mound just before he disappears behind it. The hen turns and passes by me about 15 yards to my left and stops just before going into the wood line, yelping, and my heart started really pumping because I just knew the big boy and the rest would most likely follow the same path.

About a minute later, he appears from behind the mound to my left, fans and then lets out a loud gobble, and I can now clearly see his long beard. I am afraid to move because I can still see the hen on my left, and she is yelping, and I don't want her to bust me.

As if scripted, the hen disappears into the woods, and the gobbler turns his fanned butt towards me, giving me the opportunity to move my gun a little bit to get on him.

He is at about 15 yards, I draw a bead and wait for him to turn and break strut, and I fire. He drops in his tracks without a single flop.

Tag filled. 10" beard and 1-1/4" spurs. Great day!

Congrats to everyone else who scored.

Great story!! Congrats to u as well

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
After a slow initial set up, my cousin and I got one to gobble down the hill from us. We set up above him and did some light calling. That bird didn't sound off again, but we had one sneak in behind us in the thick stuff. He never said a word, but I could hear him spitting and drumming and could see him moving through about 30 yards away. I was hidden well for the bird we were set up on, but not for this one. I don't know if he saw me or my cousin, but he left. I had the gun up and safety off, but I just could never see enough of him to see a beard and get a shot.

We then moved down the hill to blind call for awhile, and my cousin busted a jake out of a group of four that came in silent. The rest of the day was a bust, but at least we finally got on the board after four long days of hunting.

These birds were tough on me this week. My dad and cousin have a few more days up there, but it's back to work for me tomorrow for a few days. Next week's a new week.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.