The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
22,654 Posts
dpms said:
TurkeyMike said:
They are acting like its June though. Has me wondering if the early spring didn't have them on hens early and they are shutting down now. Or if they are that henned up still. Just cant tell.
The early spring combined with our already late season is making for some tough hunting in many areas of the state.
They're still henned up in this party of the state but they are nesting.My kid and I walked up on a hen laying on a nest this past Saturday.Personally,I don't think it's any different this year than any other year.The birds are fired up for the first few day and during the youth season.They get with hens,gobble on the roost a few times and then shut up.If you go out after 10:00am and strike one up,you have a better than average chance of killing one.If you give it another week you also have a great chance unless some hens lost their nests.This is an extremely typical year as far as I'm concerned with the exception of some low pressure cool mornings that always seem to suppress gobbling.

·
Registered
12,386 Posts
dce said:
dpms said:
TurkeyMike said:
They are acting like its June though. Has me wondering if the early spring didn't have them on hens early and they are shutting down now. Or if they are that henned up still. Just cant tell.
The early spring combined with our already late season is making for some tough hunting in many areas of the state.
They're still henned up in this party of the state but they are nesting.My kid and I walked up on a hen laying on a nest this past Saturday.Personally,I don't think it's any different this year than any other year.The birds are fired up for the first few day and during the youth season.They get with hens,gobble on the roost a few times and then shut up.If you go out after 10:00am and strike one up,you have a better than average chance of killing one.If you give it another week you also have a great chance unless some hens lost their nests.This is an extremely typical year as far as I'm concerned with the exception of some low pressure cool mornings that always seem to suppress gobbling.
I have to agree with this. Every year it's the same thing where I hunt. I hear more gobbles the 3rd week of May than I do the first two. Next year I am probably going to use my vacation on during the 2nd half of the month. Not to mention there is less competition from other hunters around that time.
For the exception of the first couple days it has been brutal out there so far in my area.

·
Registered
6,079 Posts
I think it is a typical year also. When hunting other states I have found it's always easier to kill turkeys in April than in May. It's tougher also after birds get pressured everyday, but there will still be plenty of birds get killed in the final two weeks especially if you have the time to hunt mid week versus Saturdays when everyone else is out.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Its almost like it is in shutdown mode. I havent been seeing as many birds in the fields strutting that I have the past few weeks. Still one here and there but nothing like 2 weeks ago. Monday when I was out I heard 3 lone gobbles at first light then nothing. I hit another spot around 11:45 and had one going nuts. I just ran out of time to make my move. I was there the next morning before first light and nothing. Could have been because of the rain maybe I dont know.

·
Super Moderator
12,956 Posts
I prefer the later half of the season...always have..

We had some nice weather early but seems everyone forgot about the cold spells and snows we had in April...early spring? Not really IMO...spring in PA...cold and snow one day..nice the next...rain the next..

Right now seems a lot of henned up is taking place as per usual... I think the later half of the season is better because they start nesting harder and sitting full time..

Turkey hunting is one of those things you just never know how they are going to act from day to day...one day they might run to the call...the next they might be tight lipped...

I'm looking forward to my time off the 3rd and 4th weeks...

·
Registered
791 Posts
mauser06 said:
Turkey hunting is one of those things you just never know how they are going to act from day to day...one day they might run to the call...the next they might be tight lipped...
Today was a perfect example of this for where I have been hunting. I have hunted hard so far this spring with this morning being my 7th morning hunt so far. Gobbling has been scarce to say the least and this morning started out just like all of the others with only a couple of gobbles off the roost and way off in the distance. I was hunting with my brother so we waited at a good vantage point to both listen and to watch a large field below us. At 5:50 a hen flew out into the field a couple hundred yards away. Soon after we heard a gobble come from the tee lone where she flew out of. We circled up above them and I stared calling. Everything I threw out there got a response and soon the birds were on their way. The only problem was the birds came directly up a steep hillside instead of the nice gentle slop I thought they would. When they crested the hill they were 15 yards on the wrong side of where my brother set up and they got wind of something fishy and bogeyed out of there. Soon after I struck up some 3 more gobblers. They also gobbled at everything I could throw at them but they just wouldn't move in any closer. We eventually moved closer on them but in the mean time I managed to call in a little doe. She got between us and the turkeys and then decided to start blowing and game over. My point to all of this is out of 7 days of hunting this was only the 2nd and third times that I have gotten a bird to respond to any of my calling. I know the birds are there but for whatever reason they wanted to play a little today. Just keep after it everyone, if your are able to put some time in you will get a day like I had today. I won't be able to hunt again until Tuesday so good luck to everyone!

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Set up in a spot where the birds usually roost. Had turkeys all around me. Very little gobbling! Had a gobbler about 40yrds away could see the red head just couldn't ID a beard in the low light. He walked out to the field and some crows started up and he let out a throaty gobble once. No strutting and only one gobble all morning he acted like he didn't even hear me calling. No idea what to do tomorrow...

·
Registered
409 Posts
Heard 3 on the roost 250 yards across the stream they quit gobbling at 5:55. at 6:45 decided to cross the stream and cut the distance because they were 300 yards from where I set up. Get to the area and they were still in the trees and flushed, I thought they had flown down when they stopped gobbling. Maybe tomorrow, I will have better luck.

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
I agree with Mauser06. Give me the last two weeks over the first couple.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Heavy fog and light mist on ridge tops of 2C past 2 days. 5 birds in 2 different spots and unable to get ID. All came in quiet. 9:30 bird works way down power line. Walks right to me searching for the hen making all the noise. At 15 yards I could see a 5 inch beard poking out. Contemplated to shoot or wait on more mature bird. However, crappy weather and life's duties looming and the fact I was 2/3 of the way to a 'Triple Trophy' hastened the decision.
Bird down!
The 5 miles back to truck in the quiet fog was well spent recapping this season's hunts and success. Not the biggest bear, deer, nor turkey I've ever taken. But special nonetheless!

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
dce said:
It's the same every year if you go back and look at the old threads.Every year it turns into a strange year after the first week.
^^^^THIS!^^^^

Every year is different, but hunters are the same. By the end of the first week many are complaining that the season was too early or too late. No one ever says "This season was right where it should be, starting and stopping in perfect timing with gobbler activity." Nope. No one ever says that.

Steve.

·
Registered
6,079 Posts
mauser06 said:
PA.Bone, if they mowed hay already it's probably for silage and going in the silo green...doesn't need dried like bales of hay....the weather certainly doesn't look good enough to Bale hay..

Adam, it happens! It hurts....
Today would have been a good hay day here calling for temps around 80 mostly sunny and a good breeze. But I can't imagine stringing two or three days together like this yet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Got to the spot I wanted to b at around 5:00 this morning. Sat there listening to the woods wake up. At about 5:30 a bird gobbles about 80 yds out. Figured I better grab a tree and settle in. Short while later he fires off again and 2-3 more birds answer him off to my right and they r closer yet. Soon the hens started up. Holy crap!! I'm surrounded... Lol I figure well I better at least let them know I'm here to play too (probably didn't have to say anything). The gobblers fired back immediately. Not long after I see them pitching out onto logging road I was set up on. This guy half strutted right to the decoy I put out. Looked at the clock as he was flopping. It was 6:02. Solid 2 yr old 9" beard and 7/8" Spurs

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
Punched tag number 1 at 1100 this morning. Only heard one gobble all morning, and it was him shock gobbling to a crow that flew over. Set up, made a few calls, and 15 minutes later broke his face. I'll get a story and pics up later tonight.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Third day I've been on the bird out of the last 4 days. Gave him 1 day off. I think I have him patterned now. I'm ready to sign his death certificate soon. I didn't think he had any hens but he has a harem. He's the boss of this ridge for sure. I have a plan to catch him slippin.

·
Registered
23,314 Posts
WADMAN said:
Heavy fog and light mist on ridge tops of 2C past 2 days. 5 birds in 2 different spots and unable to get ID. All came in quiet. 9:30 bird works way down power line. Walks right to me searching for the hen making all the noise. At 15 yards I could see a 5 inch beard poking out. Contemplated to shoot or wait on more mature bird. However, crappy weather and life's duties looming and the fact I was 2/3 of the way to a 'Triple Trophy' hastened the decision.
Bird down!
The 5 miles back to truck in the quiet fog was well spent recapping this season's hunts and success. Not the biggest bear, deer, nor turkey I've ever taken. But special nonetheless!
Congrats on the hat trick!

·
Registered
9,974 Posts
Pa.Bone said:
mauser06 said:
PA.Bone, if they mowed hay already it's probably for silage and going in the silo green...doesn't need dried like bales of hay....the weather certainly doesn't look good enough to Bale hay..

Adam, it happens! It hurts....
Today would have been a good hay day here calling for temps around 80 mostly sunny and a good breeze. But I can't imagine stringing two or three days together like this yet.
The ground is way to wet to dry hay even if we had a couple nice days.Drivin over hay meadows with the ground as wet as it is will just ruin the hay field.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.