The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
mauser06 said:
Turkey hunting is one of those things you just never know how they are going to act from day to day...one day they might run to the call...the next they might be tight lipped...
Today was a perfect example of this for where I have been hunting. I have hunted hard so far this spring with this morning being my 7th morning hunt so far. Gobbling has been scarce to say the least and this morning started out just like all of the others with only a couple of gobbles off the roost and way off in the distance. I was hunting with my brother so we waited at a good vantage point to both listen and to watch a large field below us. At 5:50 a hen flew out into the field a couple hundred yards away. Soon after we heard a gobble come from the tee lone where she flew out of. We circled up above them and I stared calling. Everything I threw out there got a response and soon the birds were on their way. The only problem was the birds came directly up a steep hillside instead of the nice gentle slop I thought they would. When they crested the hill they were 15 yards on the wrong side of where my brother set up and they got wind of something fishy and bogeyed out of there. Soon after I struck up some 3 more gobblers. They also gobbled at everything I could throw at them but they just wouldn't move in any closer. We eventually moved closer on them but in the mean time I managed to call in a little doe. She got between us and the turkeys and then decided to start blowing and game over. My point to all of this is out of 7 days of hunting this was only the 2nd and third times that I have gotten a bird to respond to any of my calling. I know the birds are there but for whatever reason they wanted to play a little today. Just keep after it everyone, if your are able to put some time in you will get a day like I had today. I won't be able to hunt again until Tuesday so good luck to everyone!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.