The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good luck all. Have one of my buddies sons in a blind this morning trying to get his first bird. Hope they want to play.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I’m set up and waiting impatiently for the 1st gobble of the morning. Gone a few days without hearing any...

·
Banned
1,186 Posts
6:36 here and haven't heard a bird yet. Guy Im hunting with just texted and said he just knocked one off the roost. All is quiet so far.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Quiet in my part of 3C, although a buddy of mine a few miles down the road is having some action. I don't have a ton of room to stretch my legs on this particular property, but the sign is here and it's historically been a good mid-morning spot, so I'll be patient and see what shakes out. Good luck to all!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One has n the roost gobbling, hit the ground, gobbled 3 or 4 more times now nothing. Beautiful morning though

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
2 gobblers vocal at dawn,flew down had one fanned out about 75 yards out for a few seconds. Then saw a hen and they all went the other way. Oh well got to go to work. Great weather morning as the winds held off.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
After a mediocre morning I bumped into a bird gobbling on his own while running and gunning at 10AM. I set up and gave him a call and he hammered right back and started closing ground. I was on the side of a steep ridge and he was below me. Between scratching the leaves and a few more calls, I see a fan pop up over at 40 yards. My gun wasn't positioned just right so I couldn't swing slightly for what would have been an easy shot. He gobbled again, and then went behind a tree. When he popped out I dumped him at about 40 yards.

He started rolling down the hill so that was a fun chase. I go to pin him down and see a small beard! Noooo. Turns out he was a super jake I guess. Fan was pretty much full. First young bird I've killed like that in a long time Oh well. He gobbled very well and sure had me pumped up. I have not had a hot bird commit like that in weeks. That's number 2 and 1 more tag here for me to fill. We're in the last week here.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Covered a lot of ground today in different places. NOT A PEEP again. At least i am getting in good shape. Maybe next week they will want to talk.

·
Super Moderator
14,272 Posts
I didn't have much time this morning due to a volunteer workday on the game lands so I headed to a place on the game lands near the work area. As I expected by gobbling time there were five vehicles in the parking lot.

I was only in a half mile when I could hear three different birds gobbling on the roost. One was too far away but two were close enough to set up on. I found a spot I thought they might come to and set up. They both answered as soon as I called. Then I could hear someone else calling to them from a different angle. It wasn't long until they were on the ground below my set up. But, I also had a hen answering me from the same location as the gobblers. They answered my calls for a while but never came any closer. Then two more started gobbling on the other side of the hill from me. I could tell they out in one of the food plots we plant each year. They never moved from there. One would gobble and that would set the other one off to gobble as well. I suspect they were Jakes.

By 0730 I was headed out. By the time I got to the parking lot there were eight vehicles. Maybe I will try the area on a week day morning and see if it is worth hunting or too over pressured then too.

We had a good workday though and planted a couple thousand food and cover shrubs in some fenced areas.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
113 Posts
Just wrapped up my 2019 season with my second PA bird. Was in NE PA Saturday, after checking my trail cam on the food plot and seeing a bird strutting at 8 pm friday night, I knew he would be close. I set up my decoys and it wasn't long before a hen appeared early. Another hen then flew down and cackled and he gobbled about 150 yds away. Some soft calling was all that was necessary and he strutted in to the dekes...capped off a great season for me. I started the year in FL with 2 Osceola's, then a bird in NC, and two in PA. My first PA bird had a double beard with 10" and 8" beards, and 22 lbs.

Saturdays bird attached...

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts