The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Checking out a different property this morning. Haven't been on here yet, but there's usually birds around. I'm currently at a listening point, and I'll head after the first gobble I hear. Good luck, fellas.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Works been slammed so I haven't gotten out much. Don't need to be there till 8am today. So a local hunt was in order. A buddy has a farm near mt Gretna. My plan was to slip in thru a narrow stretch of game lands and back door there roost from last night. Didn't go out early be cause its not a far Walk and I know exactly where I am going. Got to parking lot and there was a truck. Blue Suv. There isn't much land there gamelands/turkey hunting wise. So do I drive around other side and go blazing across the field? Does this guy know where they are roosted? Hate to mess up someone else. Or hunt to close. Or get shot. Drove away. Next time I guess. Hopefully if I go early and get there first he does the same......

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Gonna go home take a nap then hunt last 2hrs of the day. I normally have more luck from 9 on anyways!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I was up a little late due the no sleep hunt every day, up at 3:00am. I came to the local game lands because of the time, although still dark out. So I get there and like other times the lot is empty. I walk in to a spot they have cut thru's in the woods. I set up, sit and them it getting really light out. I can everything clear and bright. Won't you know some guy walks in from the long way in where it's thick and making a ton of racket and won't you know, he sits 20 ft from me. All the while I'm whistling and pssst at him, just continued to sit there. I know he heard me! So I get up an leave.

·
Registered
961 Posts
GGGGRRRRRR..... Feeling more than a little frustrated. Stupid mistake on my part this morning. I had a buddy call me last night, saw 3 lone jakes walking out of a field into the woods. I made the boys flip a quarter to see who got to go to keep things fair.

Get there with Aidan this morning and the birds gobbling well on the roost but sounds far. We walk down the logging road as hes gobbling on his own. I start looking for a spot to set up and step on a stick...We walk maybe 10 more yards and bust the bird off the roost.

He was roosted over a ravine and must have been facing away from us so his sound carried over the ravine i to the bottom.

So now the count is 0-5... Turkeys have a commanding lead at this point. Recent mistakes make me wonder how I ever killed 10 gobblers in 9 seasons.

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
First day out in PA, 2 were gobbling on the roost below me for the first 45 minutes. All quite now.....

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just called in a bearded hen and her friend. The beard was only about 4", and I know there's better ones out there. That, and another taxidermy bill would probably have me in the doghouse (again). I was a little disappointed that she didn't have a boyfriend with her, but we had a pretty good conversation going, so maybe a gobbler overheard.

The birds I moved on first thing had hens with them, so I'm just babysitting some fresh scratchings on a saddle and waiting for something to fire back up.

·
Premium Member
24,182 Posts
Didn't hear a thing again

·
Registered
191 Posts
Snuck in tight to the same bird I've been working since saturday. He flew off the roost in the other direction toward a field. We reset and he was within 100 yards but he continued in the same direction. Over the course of 5 minutes or so, his gobbles became more and more distant. As we discussed our plan for the following morning, we hear two shots ring out from the location of his last gobble. We're hoping it was 2 misses, otherwise he's gone!

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Finally heard some birds. They were answering on the ground, but got silent. Moved down the hollow to a lone bird, but same thing. Im thinking he got with his girls. On my way out I did one last ecited yelp series at where the first birds were. I got a hen fired up. She was really worked up so I battled with her for 6 minutes. Not one of the birds gobbled even with my calling and a live hen being all fired up.

Starting to look up. Season started off on fire, and the last 2 weeks have been more or less dead. I will be out tomorrow for a little before work. I am off Friday but can only hunt a little bit because of a wedding I am in in OHIO on Saturday. GGGGRRRRRRRRR....

·
Registered
767 Posts
Birds were silent again on the roost. I did hear one bird gobble at 6:40. I moved up and called once and he did fire back but he was still pretty far away. I called again and then the hens started firing back. I soon called in a hen to about 15 feet away. She then jumped up on a log and called more than I ever have over the next half hour. Seriously for a half hour I had this hen calling every call I have non stop. I was hoping she would just call in the gobbler but it wasn't meant to be. Finally she walked up over the hill and I slipped out to try again tomorrow. The complete lack of gobbling really has me frustrated. Spring turkey hunting just isnt fun unless there are a few gobbles now and then. It was pretty entertaining watching that hen from close range for that much time.

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
John, I had a hen do that last year...she looked as baffled as me when there weren't any gobbles to be heard...I watched her wander for a half hour...she wasn't as vocal as yours...but she would stop and yelp and cutt..then proceed 100yds or so and do it again....a few days later that same spot was on FIRE. She was there..as well as a few longbeards and Jake's...they literally raced for about 300yds to me...it was crazy...I've never had birds run to me like that...let alone with a live hen..

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
TurkeyMike said:
I am off Friday but can only hunt a little bit because of a wedding I am in in OHIO on Saturday. GGGGRRRRRRRRR....
Dontcha hate that? Some couples have no courtesy...

·
Registered
175 Posts
Took my buddy out for a chance at his first gobbler. He gobbled only a couple times on the roost and flew into the field about 200 yards away with 5 hens. He'd come in to about 60 yards and then walk back out following the hens wherever they went. We were very patient and made some clucks and purrs and he started working back again. This time he was about as close as he was going to get and he let him have it. However the birds flew off and so did the longbeard. Another miss. Oh well it was a good time and he had a blast

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
Finally heard one close enough to work for the first time this season. Not that it helped but it was still nice to hear one!

Saw him on my way out in a persons yard with 5 hens. Back at it tomorrow!

·
Registered
20,191 Posts
Finely no need for rain gear.
Got out early, still sitting and calling.
Since there are not many leaves on the trees yet it's bright and easy to see....and be seen.
Saw 5 hens, several jakes and heard a gobbler in the next zip code who didn't even return my call.
Lots of Nats and flying insects.
Going to hang in till noon, tomorrow is nice, Friday rain then Saturday is nice then it's the end of my season due to work and family activities.
Good Luck all.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Gave the 2 I've been working the last 2 days the day off. Headed to a different spot I hunted first day. Logged 5.1 miles, not a peep. Got back to the truck at 11 and drove down the road to check a big field. As I rounded a bend in the dirt road, you guessed it, 3 longbeards, 2 jakes, and a hen. All I could do was laugh. Need a nap.

·
Registered
21,784 Posts
Got out late. The only birds I saw were those I passed on the way to my hunting spot.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts