The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Decided to hunt a local property this morning in WMU 5D. Arrived at 5:00 a.m. Decided to set up on the ground in the woods near a stream with jake and hen decoy. At 5:45 a.m. heard 3 turkeys gobble from 3 different directions. The closet one sounded as though it was roosted near where I had parked. A few soft tree clucks and the closest one let out a booming gobble. I sat in the dark listening to him gobble from the roost. The other two toms gobbled one more time and clammed up. Being on the ground didnt offer a good shot due to the foilage and I was facing the wrong direction. I have a tree stand in the same area bordering a field and decided to move the decoys into the fielld and climb in the tree stand which offered a shot into the field and the woods. A few more soft clucks and 20 minutes later he was closing the distance fast. At about 50 yards to my left up a hill out of sight he gobble again. Gun up and ready I could see him coming down the hill strutting and gobbeling. When he didnt see the decoys, he hestated the started to walk down the hill. Thats when I shot. 37 yards, 6:15 a.m. , 20 lbs, 10" beard and one inch spurrs. There are not many turkeys around this area but this will be a morning I will never forget.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts