The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im new to flintlocking with my traditions 50 caliber.i tried the 45 caliber sabot bullet w/ the plastic casing a couple years ago. i wasnt overly happy w/ them.i have some maxiballs i bought on clearance last year. are they any more accurate? or should i be looking for round balls?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i knew i would get that question. it was 50 caliber ammo,just a smaller bullet w/ a plastic casing around it

·
Registered
536 Posts
Muzzy125,
What twist barrel does your rifle have?
I would start out shooting a patched round ball.
Try a .490" ball and .015 patch, and work up to your most accurate load with it then move on to try the maxi ball.

win 1300 the .50 cal. sabots normally use a .45cal bullet.

·
Premium Member
24,059 Posts
if a 1-48 bbl...a 460 grain maxi will fly good if thats whut you have.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Muzzy125,
Traditions list your twist rate as 1:48, so your gun should shoot round ball and maxi balls.
If you shoot maxi balls check your target for keyholing, some times the maxi might not stabilize enough in the barrel.
It's just trial and error finding the right powder & projectile combo your gun likes, so put some range time in with it.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
The Maxi-Ball has been my slug of choice for years..A 100 gr. charge of FF in my 54 cal. will send a slug through 4 feet of deer with a hole which certainly leaks..Use them ,you won't be sorry.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
im not sure what grain the maxiballs are,i will have to hunt them up and check.
thanks for the advice. im going to shoot a lot. my goal is a baseball group at 40 yards.

·
Premium Member
24,059 Posts
muzzy125 said:
im not sure what grain the maxiballs are,i will have to hunt them up and check.
thanks for the advice. im going to shoot a lot. my goal is a baseball group at 40 yards.
I think I could pitch a group that well! LOL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts