The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Mod 98 with a wood stock that was given to me by my grandfather. Its chambered to the 308 Norma Mag. I'm looking for a new stock for it. Any ideas where I can find one?
If you need more info on it let me know.
Thanks to all for any assistance!

·
Registered
25,824 Posts
What kind of stock: wood, wood laminate or synthetic?

You're in luck, because almost every major drop-in stock maker, should have something to fit a M98 action.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know that I have a specific type in mind. Just want something newer. I'm probably leaning toward a synthetic or laminated.
Thanks!

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I sporterized a 98 years ago. I used a Fajen stock. It was supposed to be drop in but you have to do some inleting and a whole lot of sanding.

·
Registered
25,824 Posts
Also used one of those on a M98 almost 20 years ago.

It had "been around" for some time, but never used. Back then they were just rough shaped on the outside, but pretty much fully inletted for the action. As you noted, some tinkering was required for final action fit, especially because I installed a Timney trigger.

The outside looked like it had been shaped with an adz, however. Or as my huntin' bud said when he saw me working on it, looked like rabid beavers had shaped it.

Lots to choose from these days, in M98 sporter stocks. Do a Google search for them. Dozens of sources.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
I put a Boyd's laminate on my K98.....it's so friggin' heavy now that it doesn't see the woods unless I know for sure I'll be on stand all day. I still had to final fit the action/barrel and bed the action in. Shoots pretty good(~1.5" @ 100 yards) with factory Sellier & Bellot 196gr stuff.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guys, thanks for all the input. I think I'm set on what I'm going to do & where to buy. Thanks again! Always helpful!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts