The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first off let my say i have a real softspot for MAUSERS, the look,the smoothness,strength,craftsmanship,reliability etc... well my son has been looking for a clean '98 large ring for a build and last week he dropped off a '98 large ring action that was completely painted black including the bolt,triggerhousing,trigger,guardscrews>just everything, hmmm why paint the all the metal?. he left it for me to give it a thorough once over and after a 72hour chemical soaking to remove the paint and and funk that may be trying to hide itself. well apon removal i found quite the suprise it's a really nice in the white '98 made at the OBERNDORF WEAPONS FACTORY in GERMANY with stampings on three different places on the receiver of the THIRD REICH EAGLE and SWASTIKA along with an inspector's proof markings. wow what a great find for $100 eh! now here is my question, original barrels for these are still avaiable along with the sights and stocks from numerious surplus military parts and others. so would you take it back to what it was intended for: or drill&tap for scope mounts which would remove most of the 'third reich stampings' and go ahead with the custom rifle build? [i know what i would do but it's not mine] WHAT WOULD YOU DO??

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
I'd return it to original. But that's just me and I hate seeing customized (bubba'd?) military rifles. But to each their own.

·
Registered
10,959 Posts
I would keep it original. WW II stuff is getting harder to find in original condition.

·
Registered
12,200 Posts
I'd restore it to as close to original as possible. If you want to do a build, consider something on a Remington 700 or Winchester Model 70 action. Personally (just my humble opinion) I hate to see them old warhorses tapped, drilled, scoped, buffed and blued so they are nothing more than production line guns with a ruined reputation.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Personally I would do whatever was necessary so that I could use the rifle. Restoring the rifle then putting it in a safe and not shooting it has no appeal to me. If I want a collector rifle then I want everything original, not rebuilt.

Does your son want a collector or a shooter?? Pretty simple decision really.

Now if you had a complete rifle in pristine condition then yes I would say to keep it in original condition. But basically all you have is a stamped original action in the white?? If it is so valuable like that then sell it and buy another action.

But regardless of value, if it is what your son wants for a hunting rifle?? Then again the decision seems simple to me. Tom.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
To a collector it may be about worthless if "restored" to original condition...numbers will never match...and the metal has already been stripped..it will never be original...

I'm going against the grain and saying id continue the build off it...but that's my thoughts...I could be off in left field and wrong...mil surplus is getting harder to find...but iother than having a rifle "looking" original, numbers won't match and finding "correctly stamped" parts just might not happen...pretty sure mauser parts were pretty well numbered...been a while since I played with any originals so maybe I am wrong...

(I have the masuer name because the first rifle I ever bought was a sporterized mauser...I'm no mauser buff but played with a bunch of originals...)

Dad had one marked as you described..if it was issued it wasn't in rough battle...I can't believe he sold it....it was a find...

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input guys, i think the decision is made because the ser#'s do match on the action,bolt,triggerguard,and follower the only thing that will be needed is a barrel [which i did find a OBERDORF which the action is; so the only thing that will be off the cuff will be the stock&hardware,buttplate,cleaning rod. i told my son this; when you bring this back to life this rifle represents a period in history that you should remember because your grandfather fought in the european theatre under GEN PATTON and was wounded in the battle of the bulge so the son agreeded to bring it back for which it was intended and find maybe a decent VZ24 or the like for his build...appriciate the comments and i'd like to hear a few more views from you guy's/gal's. by the way all my MAUSER '98s have all of the third reich stampings ground off. so this piece will be nice to see it for what it was.

·
Registered
25,511 Posts
I sporterized a WWII "bring back" M98 years ago, for my son's first deer rifle. Great deer rifle, but I've long regretted doing it. All the numbers matched, multiple waffenamps on it, but little original finish left on the metal.

Forget the origin, but it was made in 1939.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I have a WWII Mauser that was sported out way before I got my hands on it . My Father gave it to me for my 13th birthday and I love it but it would be nice to have it original . It does not get as much carry time now days but boy the the times I had with it when I was younger .

Mike

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
I just don't get some things I guess. What's the fasination? I can understand they are built like tanks, and the workman ship is something we for the most part can't buy today.

I carried one when I turned 12, and used it for a couple years there after. I swear that thing must have weighed 12 pounds. It was a loaner from my uncle. He had another rifle because he didn't care to carry it either.

I guess if you want to build some super magnum custom rig it is the way to go. That is if you want to carry a really heavy gun. I sold a mod 70 once because it was too heavy to carry. I wouldn't even consider a mauser unless I was going to build something I couldn't build off a lighter action.

Sometimes I think they would make really good boat anchors.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hunt/fish i respect your opinion and your right SOME PEOPLE JUST DON'T GET IT, it may just have something to do that they are machined from a high grade steel billet by skilled craftsmen. not investment castings that just possibly have a few air pocket voids hiding in there. i have lots of rifles, remingtons,winchesters,rugers,and lots more but i prefer the mauser type actions with that big lovely claw extractor attached to that beefey bolt silding along on those nice wide rails...

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I have a 98 all matching unaltered and it sure is a sweet pieces. However, since I collect WWII German memorabilia I'm not going to alter the condition of this long arm even though I too would like to sporterize and make my own hunting rifle. I've been looking into the swedish mausers. A lil steep, but the 6.5 round is a knocker. Or find a Russia capture and sporterize that.
Like another member said either or reconditioned or left alone in it's current condition it isn't original, but what matters more is what you want to do with it.

Whats your code? bfy?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
no it's just prior to bfy > the 42 stamp in the middle of the receiver translates to the OBERDORF FACTORY in 1939 if i remember correctly bfy stamp would have went into production 1941 also at the OBERDORF WEAPONS FACTORY. if you do land a swede you will love it i bought three when times were good two mod96's and a mod38 and they allready doubled in price. great investments;they surely don't make em anymore eh!

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I'm coming over to see this thing, I would keep it original.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
hunt/fish365 said:
I just don't get some things I guess. What's the fasination? I can understand they are built like tanks, and the workman ship is something we for the most part can't buy today.

I carried one when I turned 12, and used it for a couple years there after. I swear that thing must have weighed 12 pounds. It was a loaner from my uncle. He had another rifle because he didn't care to carry it either.

I guess if you want to build some super magnum custom rig it is the way to go. That is if you want to carry a really heavy gun. I sold a mod 70 once because it was too heavy to carry. I wouldn't even consider a mauser unless I was going to build something I couldn't build off a lighter action.

Sometimes I think they would make really good boat anchors.
Mine is a WWI KAR98 [carbine] w/ the top wood and cleaning rod removed. That made it a handy and light weapon, just the opposite of your memory of the full size rifle but w/ a large ring action...I'm gonna' have to bring it up to camp this season...

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
i respect your decision vapor trail..either way cant go wrong...but the more i thought about this post, the more i said "ahh you can find m98 actions pretty regularly without the rarer marks..might be worth restoring" though collector value will likely never be what it COULD been if it were a whole, matching, original rifle im not big on collector value..i just find it awesome to own rarer rifles...the more i buy, the more i look for harder ones to find...though im not yet a collector or anything...

hunt/fish, i know what you mean about big and heavy...thats the reason i got 2 rem pump guns this year to replace the mauser ive been carrying the last 10..while mine is sporterized, its a bulky rifle..and the action is heavy...and my trigger is original and breaks at about 20lbs with 1/2" of creep...i believe that trigger made me a better shooter..i honestly do..i learned to shoot it accurately..a nice trigger now is like a world of difference..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts