The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a K98 that says "45" on the barrel, so I'm guessing that means made in 1945? It also has a very big trigger guard that I've not seen a lot of on most K98's. I was thinking maybe a late war Czech, but it has no lion crest, no "BRNO" or anything like that anywhere on the gun. It has an eagle that is either on top of a swastika or it might not be (not around the gun at the moment, hence no pic either). Just looking to get a little more info on it even though I've had it for 10 years. So if anyone loves a good mauser and may be able to inform me even with my bad description it would be nice. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Most likely a gun assembled from parts. Look at all the major pieces, they all should have numbers stamped on them. If all the numbers match...stop..and get us some pics. If they are all different, you have a parts assembly gun. Barrel stamp can be the date, but can also be the code for the barrel factory, depends on where it is on the barrel. A total parts gun still has a parts value of at least $200, usually more. Pics would be great. The barrel codes and factory codes are all listed online .

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not doubting you one bit, but wouldn't a Czech gun have a lion crest or some other symbols? Like the BRNO or something? It is a 4 groove.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok will do when I get home in the next month or so. I'm just going off things I can picture in my head. The gun was sporterized long ago also. The "45" is on the receiver right by the K98

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
The Czech VZ24's would have the lions head or a date on the receiver. But the Czech's made a LOT of mausers for themselves and other countries in a lot of different configurations. I have quite a few of their varients. Need pic's to identify. Here's a link to another Czech mauser click

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stetam, that mauser is just about identical to mine. Like I said, mine was sporterized, but the wood grain and lighter color are an exact match. Identical trigger guard/floorplate and adjustable ramp. Mine is missing the sight hood, and my bolt was bent backward. Thanks. I'll get pics as soon as I can.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I also had to take a dremel to the feeding ramp because the thing about mine was that it always had a bit of a reliable feeding issue. The extractor wouldn't always engage the rim properly, so many rounds went into the chamber, yet the bolt wasn't even attached to it, so I had to drop a cleaning rod down the barrel to bump the shell back out. I believe the ramp was too steep, and I took I'd say about 20-30 thousanths, maybe more off and it seemed to work a bit better the last time I shot it, but even that was a while ago. I just got 100 rounds of Romanian 154 grain I plan on running through it soon.

P.S. If you know of any good sources to buy mil surp 8x57 let me know. It took me a while to find some. Everyone is either sold out, or offers like 400+ rounds that I didn't have the money for.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Not milsurp, but Midway has PPU for $18/20rds.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Graf's has milsurp Romanian corrosive berdan-primed, laquered steel core for $12/20rds.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Liberty Tree Collectors has a few different options for milsurp.

https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=3396&idcategory=69

Mixed Surplus 150 rounds for $70.

https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=3905&idcategory=69

Italian surplus, 50 for $38.

https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=3906&idcategory=69

Portuguese, 150 for $100.

I've ordered from there before. Pretty good source for old military stuff.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks. Looks like a nice website. Any recommendations as to what to get or what to avoid from above? Even in general, what stuff out there is the not so good surplus?

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I've ordered Egyptian and Turkish surplus when it was in stock, so I can't specifically speak to any of the selections they have currently.

The Turkish surplus is extremely accurate out of my vz24, but it's pretty old stuff and there's a chance you could get a lot of duds.

Based on my online research, the Egyptian stuff was supposed to be terrible, but it also turned out to be accurate out of my K98K.

Both are in the mixed surplus lot, but again, some of the older stuff is luck of the draw at times. I don't know much about the Italian or Portuguese stuff, it came in stock when I didn't need any.

The nicest looking surplus out there is the Yugo M75, I think there's some still available at wideners.com. It's relatively new, from the 1990s, and made by PPU. However, my K98K doesn't seem to like it as much as the older stuff. But it goes bang every time that I can remember.

Most of my research has said to stay away from Iranian surplus.

Here's a helpful widget from the Mosin Nagant forums that shows current ammo prices for a lot of calibers.

http://www.russian-mosin-nagant-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=6629

8mm mauser is towards the bottom of the rifle ammo.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts