The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's something like this worth? Any ideas? Any way to substantiate the price?
I have a new Hogue overmolded stock on it as well. I'd say metal is at least 97-98%
Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
838 Posts
Is it a 98 or one of the Belgium FN Mauser actions from the 60's.

I have one of the latter and value it aroung $500 with scope.

I have seen several of that combination over the years, rather than on a 98 military action.

Value as opposed to what you can actually get for it are two different things. The market seems to be flooded with used rifles these days. A trip to any gun shop or Cabella's finds racks full of consignment used rifles that are not selling.

I've thought about selling mine. It has a custom stock and a l'pold scope on it. Right handed bolt and I now shoot left handed. Its not eating anything though, so it gets its annual once over and that is about it.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
FWIW, I tried to trade my sporterized K98 in last fall on another used rifle(original A-bolt)....they didn't even want it. Said they can't move military customs very well, market is flooded. Even if they would have taken it they couldn't have given me much for it due to aforementioned market conditions.

·
Registered
535 Posts
It's hard to beat a sporterized mauser as long as it is done right. I can't seem to find any in chamberings that i like.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
There was one that a local shop had just sold in the same chambering with a redfield scope for 475. And it was done extremely well and had nice blueing.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
With the info you gave us...$50-$5,000. Mauser's can be all over the place on value depending on manufacturer, caliber and what has been to it. Some military mausers are very well made. 1909 Argentines and 1893 Ludwig Lowe manufacture were better made than anything made today.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Real Mauser guys don't want them sporterized, they want them Mil spec, thats when the nicer or rarer ones bring big money. The exception is, if it was built by a famous gunsmith. In that case, say a Biesen or Goens custom goes from 5 to 7 grand. The Mauser 98 was built across the board from exquisite masterpiece to junkyard dog, it depends on what they started with and who built it. Your gun was built post 1960, there was no .308 Norma before then. Post some pics and some good numbers off the receiver, I bet I can nail it down for you.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you gentlemen for your responses!

I was guessing in the $500 range. 1 main reason would be the caliber it's chambered in - 308 Norma Mag. A box of 20 will run me anywhere from $60-$80. The action is excellent, the trigger is a Timney so I'll be keeping it & putting a new barrel on it in a caliber that's easier on my wallet!

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Jericho You just made me do a double take. I think I ran across the exact gun you are talking about once. It was less than a year ago. A woman contacted me about a very rare military rifle, she wanted an opinion on. She was convinced it was worth untold dollars. When I saw it, it was an old 03 that had been rebarreled to .308 norma, then somwhere in time, reamed out to .300 Win. When I gave her the bad news, she got very mad at me, the messenger. She basically told me I was clueless to this rare piece of military history. I politely said I would not charge her for the appraisal, and ask her to ponder the fact that the gun was made in the 1940's, the original chambering on the replacement barrel was from 1960, and the cartridge it was rechambered to was from 1963. Perhaps the Army used a time machine to accomplish all of that. She informed me that both her son and her neighbor told her it was rare, so what did I know. LOL! It was in your part of the state, and I would bet its the same gun, small world.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts