The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought I used Matthews Switchback and I wanted to change the draw length. Right now it is currently at 30 and I need 28.5 or 29. Either will do. I took it to the local bow shop and they informed me I would have to change the cam to a cobra 29 or 28.5 RHL if I wanted to change the draw length. Just wondering if this is only thing I can do if I wanted to change the draw length. The shop informed me that it would be $80 to do it there. Is that typically a standard price? Any suggestions on what I could do? Or where to get that Cam? Thank you

·
Registered
7,680 Posts
check archerytalk for cams...usually tons of them

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Go onto Archerytalk and go to the classifieds, then within the classifieds, go to the subforum that contains cams. Do a search within that forum for the cam you want. You should not have to pay more than $45. for the cam, however, unless you have a press, a pro shop will probably charge you a setup fee, considering your loop, peep, and everything else will need adjusting. The setup fee and the cost of a used cam may exceed the $80.00 he is asking. Ask the proshop if 1) for $80.00 are you getting a new or used cam, and 2) does the cost include setting up the bow. Once you know all this, then make your decision.

By the way- best bow Mathews ever made.

·
Registered
311 Posts
The 80.00 cam price should be for a new cam. That is the only way with a Mathews to change the draw length.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
pshandrick said:
The 80.00 cam price should be for a new cam. That is the only way with a Mathews to change the draw length.
I would think so. New should be around $80-85 and depending on the shop, they may or may not charge him additional to put it on and setup the bow. A lot depends on whether or not he bought the bow there, or whether or not the shop owner is his buddy. This could go either way. Here is a case where used online may end up costing more than new installed at the shop.

·
Super Moderator
12,791 Posts
That is a very good bow I regret that I did not buy a backup Switchback new or used. I have owned several bows over many years, but none I like as well as the Switchback. I admit I stop looking at bows with the purchase of the switchback. I hope mine will last for many years. Good luck with yours.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I know that at our shop the cost is 80 plus installation unless you bought the bow from us in which case we typically would not charge for a new cam install that you are purchasing. The only problem with buying a used cam is if they know it is purchased used and something happens it is not able to be warrantied that is why shops don't typically carry any used cams. The plus side to buying new is that you will get two cams with it and if you ever decide to sell it you will be able to market it with both cams for more of a range of buyers.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I have the switchback XT, one of the best bows ever made by Mathews, I may be upgrading to a ZXT or a Helim this year but will never sell my Switchback, as far as the cams go, yes thats the only way to change to draw length, I second checking the classifieds on ArcheryTalk, you can also check ebay.

·
Registered
475 Posts
i sold my switchback but still have a couple cams. if your interested,i'll check to see if i have the cam your looking for, that is if cams are interchangable from lefties to right ??

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Most mathews bows run a bit long in draw length so if you are 28.5-29" I would opt for a 28.5" cam as the 29 will likely come in a bit longer. Of course you can twist up the string to take up the extra length but you loose a bit of performance if you do. Every mathews I've owned came in 3/8" to 3/4" longer than advertised when I put it on the draw board.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts