The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a big Excalibur fan. Years back I picked up an Exocet 200 and used it up to this past season. I harvested a lot of deer with it through the years and never had a problem. It is just down right dependable.
So when the new Matrix series came out I decided to purchase a Matrix 405 to see what all the hype was about?
I got to say after shooting the 405 I really took a shine to it. I did find the trigger a little stiffer than the Exocet. I attributed this to the heavier draw weight and lack of wear in time. It was not bad, but did not break as smoothly as I felt it could. So I ended up getting a Trigger Tech trigger. It took me about 10 minutes to replace the stock trigger with the Trigger Tech. This made a big difference in the overall feel of the trigger, making it more precise and more to my liking.
The Matrix 405 is a very fast, accurate, flat shooting piece of equipment. I was anxious to try it out this season. That day came this past Wednesday evening when this very nice buck offered me a 30 yard quartering shot. The 150 grain Bolt cutter broadhead did it's job, passing completely through the bucks vitals. He trotted about 40 yards and piled up.

I'll admit that my old Exocet 200 would have done the very same job without a hitch. But I have to say I do not regret my new purchase one bit. It flat out performs!

·
Registered
19,666 Posts
I bet penetration was not a issue with the 405! Nice buck.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Always nice to christen new equipment with a kill

·
Premium Member
24,169 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll be keeping the old Exocet 200. My son has already claimed it. LOL! He's gotten a couple bucks with it over the years.
Meantime, I'll have some time to do some turning and carving. Through the years I've made and carved a lot of game calls. When I'm not hunting, its my other hobby.

I quit selling calls years ago. Now I just make them for myself or as gifts for friends.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts